What's new
What's new

Help with South Bend Lathe and possible value

murphytq

Plastic
I'm new to this forum. I have attempted to review the posts in the South Bend Forum along with the photos section. I acquired a South Bend lathe 5 years ago when my father-in-law passed away. According to the plate it is a 380-YB 9" Swing and 36" Bed. I have looked at the front right of the bed in an attempt to find the serial number but so far I do not see any stamping or etching. I am looking for guidance on possible value of this lathe as I have someone interested purchasing it. It is in good operational condition and has 3 additional 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Below is a link to the photos of the lathe and ID plates on it as well as an index head that will be sold with it. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

South Bend Lathe & Indexing Head - Google Photos

Thanks

That is a nifty old machine there with some interesting tooling. Looks like you’ve got the steady rest there too.

It is going to take the right buyer to appreciate this machines era, style, and patina. The usual formula for machinery value involves four questions: (not necessarily in order of importance).

One. What is it?
Two. Where is it?
Three. What tooling does it have?
Four. What condition is it in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least one chuck is for the dividing head. That has the silent chain motor to CS drive and with that top mount is VERY top heavy/tippy ,be Very careful when moving !! Good quick change not so good very short bed. Your area $800-1200 I would say .

"Below is a link to the photos of the lathe and ID plates on it as well as an index head that will be sold with it. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

South Bend Lathe & Indexing Head - Google Photos

Thanks[/QUOTE]"

Your index head is a Van Norman 7 1/2" Horizontal Swivel Dividing Head. It takes VN C style collets in the spindle. The tailstock is not original and for a larger swing head - that has been compensated for with the riser plate under the dividing head. You might check e-bay for completed auctions.

Good photos

murphytq...Most photos of older lathes and questions about price or model are not very good but yours are first rate...

Back