What's new
What's new

Taper attachment needed

mwill135

Aluminum
Anyone have or know of where I might find a taper attachment for my 10K?

Please and thank you

I have a taper attachment for 10 K. It is in excellent condition, but is missing the tie down rod and clamp. If interested, give me a call at 1 307 655 2537 and we can discuss price, shipping, and any questions you might have. oldwyo

View attachment 298507

View attachment 298508

oldwyn doesn't look like your TA will work with my lathe?

Why do you say that? He has not posted pictures. You will also need a new slotted cross slide with the TA. If you have not fitted a TA on a 10K, it is not a plug & play thing. It can be very tricky to get right. Also TA's for a 10K or SB9 are really scarce. Good luck finding one.

Talked with oldwyn. TA has two alignment pins on the outward side of the bolt, as you can see on mine no alignment holes. I'm really surprised how scarce and finicky TA's are. Seems like a fairly common type accessory that people would want and SB would have supplied????

Talked with oldwyn. TA has two alignment pins on the outward side of the bolt, as you can see on mine no alignment holes. I'm really surprised how scarce and finicky TA's are. Seems like a fairly common type accessory that people would want and SB would have supplied????

As far as I know, they were an "extra cost" option installed by the owners. You usually see TA's on the larger models, they seem to be more common on the 14 and 16's for some reason. I don't think I've ever seen a 16 without one.

And the sad fact is, that most of these machines were ran into the ground and thrown away for scrap long before we came along. So, the subset of smaller South Bends with the TA is pretty small -- It's a miracle finding the parts at all. And them that has them, tend to keep them.

Part of the installation is to drill and install those pins. These were never factory installed that I am aware of. I think you need to do your homework. These TAs work well on the 10K, I have one, but they are not differential like on big boy lathes. On these, the cross feed is either controlled by the TA or by the cross feed screw, not both. You must use the compound for DOC settings. Please note that oldwyn said the TA drag link and bed clamp are missing. What makes the installation tricky is that the drag link (bar) must be cast into the bed clamp with molten Babbitt only after perfect TA to bed and cross feed slide are in perfect alignment. Then those pin holes are drilled in the carriage casting and then pinned.

My sb16 TA was robbed before I got the machine :mad5::bawling: as was the lever collet closer... jokes on them they forgot a few pieces when they took the bulk of the parts

Seems like a fairly common type accessory that people would want and SB would have supplied????

Don't have one on my 9A, do have one on my Sheldon lathe- and have never needed/used it.
Short tapers are easily done with the compound. I don't think turning long tapers is as "commonly needed" op for most.

But, like a follow rest, when you need one- you need one...

Don't have one on my 9A, do have one on my Sheldon lathe- and have never needed/used it.
Short tapers are easily done with the compound. I don't think turning long tapers is as "commonly needed" op for most.

But, like a follow rest, when you need one- you need one...

I have 3 lathes and all have a TA. I would not buy a lathe that does not have one. Cutting a taper with the TS is Micky Mouse and a real PIA.

Back