What's new
What's new

Hercus / South Bend 9 Spindle without flange

Dave022

Plastic
I have been completing a restoration of a Hercus 9 from "the book" and I have 2 issues:

1. there is no flange on the spindle nose to align 0.005" from casting; so how far should I press the spindle in?

2. There is damage to the thread; what is the best way to deal with this?

Many thanks

Dave

IMG_0066.jpg

No clue on the first question. As for damage to the thread, just file it. Looks suspiciously like it was dropped on its nose. Is that the only damage?

A thread file will take care of the spindle thread. I'm not sure where this 5 thou thing comes from- the thrust surface on the SB 9 is at the other end of the spindle. I've always just pressed them on until the bull gear seats against its shoulder, and the big end of the spindle just falls where it does.

allan

Get you a triangular file and file out all of the positive metal until you chuck will start onto the thread. A thread file may take out metal on other flanks of the thread if you can get it to cut at all. That's been my experience with them on coarse threads like this. Ken

that flange you are missing is no big deal, its only pupose it to help keeep crud out the spindle bearing.

its a press fit and if you want to add it a good lathe project, no hard rule on its diminsions except for the press fit, that .005" clearance between it and the head casting is just a general guidline, all you want is enough clearance to not rub, but not so much as to allow small chips in.

yes, to the file sugg on the spindle, if it will file, but guessing it will due to it being soft enough to deform.

as Allan noted, spindle only has one correct seating, and that is all the way. :)

Back