What's new
What's new

Hi Everyone...I'm Today's "New Guy". I Have a SB-9C Drip Pan Question

Metal-Masher

Plastic
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this site.

I'm strictly an amateur lathe operator and I've only done small projects for my own personal use. My machining knowledge is very limited and I basically taught myself. I have worked in places that had machine shops with professional operators and I would speak with them on occasions to get helpful tips. I have an extensive and strong 'hands-on' mechanical background in my professional and personal life.

I had another lathe, a 1937 Sheldon 11", that I cosmetically 'restored' as a father-and-son project. That was in the pre-internet days. I gave my son the lathe about a year ago, but now I'm convinced that I was too generous, lol.

I recently bought a 1948 SB-9C, 36" bed, flat-belt, horizontal drive. It's in good original condition and runs fine. I don't think it's ever been thoroughly cleaned, so I'm in the process of disassembly and cleaning. My intention is to clean it up, not to restore it.

Instead of mounting my new lathe straight to my steel bench top, I was thinking it would be nice to put a drip pan under it. I know there are all kinds of drip pans that I could use to slide in and out after the lathe it mounted to the bench, but that's not what I really prefer. I've seen SB's with a factory pan and steel legs...in fact, there is a pan (only) for sale sort-of locally, but it's too large for my purpose.

My question is, did SB make a pan that fits my short 36" bed, or did SB only make the pan for the longer/larger lathes?

Is anyone using another type of pan between the lathe and the bench top with good results?

The attached photos were taken the day I brought the lathe home.

Many thanks,
Alex

DSCN1106.jpg
_
DSCN1103.jpg

Full size bakers sheet can be had at your local restaurant supply for $10-15. I know it's not mounted but theres
something to be said for being able to slide it out and walk it over to the trash can. I actually found them so
useful, I went back and bought a 1/2 doz and some 1/2 sheets. Made a rack for them to slide in and out and use
to store gak.

Hey thanks for the ideas. I'm surprised how tough it is to find a pan for my SB-9 with a 36" bed. It seems everything is either too big or too small.

I hear what your saying about sliding the pans in and out...very practical...I agree. I will end up doing that I think, if I cant find a 'real' lathe pan.

If all things were perfect in my little world (lol), I would like to find a heavy gauge pan thats roughly 12 x 38". Dream'n I think.

lathe.jpgI have a 42" 10k that I got an automotive drip pan for (looks like a giant cookie sheet, from my local auto parts store). It fit almost perfectly between the legs of the bed, and I trimmed about a foot of it off w/ a grinder and made a (primitive) lip on the back. Catches a lot more of the chips than the baking sheet I had before did. You might be able to bolt this down under it directly depending on the size of the pan you found and the length of your bed. Amazon may carry these as well.

Back