What's new
What's new

Horizontal Drive For 9" 22AB

mcload

Hot Rolled
I have a friend who is in need of a complete horizontal drive (less motor) for his
9"- 22AB lathe. I am not familiar with that model of lathe so I don't know if the "standard"
horizontal drive is correct for this machine, or if it will work. (I've asked him for some pics).
I do know that it's relatively old; perhaps 30's.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
Thank you.

PMc

That is a wide bed 9", not a workshop. It probably will not have a hole in the headstock for the turnbuckle lever, but otherwise, I bet the countershaft from a 9" workshop would work. The step sizes on the cone pulley might be a little off to maintain belt tension, but there may be enough meat to fix that.

That is a wide bed 9", not a workshop. It probably will not have a hole in the headstock for the turnbuckle lever, but otherwise, I bet the countershaft from a 9" workshop would work. The step sizes on the cone pulley might be a little off to maintain belt tension, but there may be enough meat to fix that.

Thanks, I came to same conclusion. I forget about the hole for tension lever, but easy alternatives are available for that.
Here are some photos he sent. (Last photo shows a broken feed lever on apron...guess he needs one of those too!)
(Not sure why these pics came out small)

PMc

View attachment 293475 View attachment 293476 View attachment 293477 View attachment 293478 View attachment 293479

Thanks, I came to same conclusion. I forget about the hole for tension lever, but easy alternatives are available for that.
Here are some photos he sent. (Last photo shows a broken feed lever on apron...guess he needs one of those too!)
(Not sure why these pics came out small)

PMc

View attachment 293475 View attachment 293476 View attachment 293477 View attachment 293478 View attachment 293479

Once he gets the right parts, is he looking to sell his current drive? I'd be interested in the cast iron bearing brackets as those are old overhead hangers for flat-belt machinery. Send me a message if they're available. I'm located in Conroe.

Back