What's new
What's new

How to adjust the tail stock on a 17" turnado

Bondo

Hot Rolled
I am in the middle of making a shaft and I'm running into stupid problems where it tapers on a 9" shaft, 0 x.+.002 to +.010. In order to do this, I need a 4" stick out on the tail stock.

I see that the shaft is off on cutting edge, 0 at Chuck and +.005 at end of shaft (9")

I fix that problem. I turn some more, find out its still off. Realize that I didn't check the top of the shaft. I shim the back side of the tail stock ( both sides closest to the far end of the bed) and for the love of me, I can't get this thing anywhere near accurate.

What tricks do you guys have that can help.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I'm not really understanding what your problem is other than you're getting taper. Perhaps you could explain it more clearly or include some pics of your set up with the diameters marked on the shaft.
There should be no need to shim anything. The tail stock should be adjustable front to back by unlocking it from the bed and adjusting the bolts on the front and back at the base. If it's the height of the tail stock you are worried about, that should not matter unless it's off by a mile or you are turning a very small diameter shaft.

So I made the shaft but it took 4 more ties. I kept adjusting the tail stock so my indicator said dead on 0. I turned a piece of stainless shaft already 1" TGP, and then flipped it to the chuck side, 0'd then flipped it to the tail stock and adjusted it perfectly. The test TGP piece was center drilled each end while just outside the chuck.

Every single time, the shaft was. 003 to. 010 bigger on the tail stock end. This was also checked during each pass. It didn't matter if I did a fast speed finishing cut or a rough cut.

I'm going to a buddies shop to get a different set if dead centers just in case there isn't a freak thing going on with mine.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Back