What's new
What's new

How does this gear come off??

If you're talking about the one on the end, it's pressed on. You must use a puller to remove it. I believe there is a woodriff key underneath it.

It is a press fit, and does have a key.

In a jam you can use the adjusting nut to back into the gear and drive it off. But thats easier when still on headstock, to hold assembly stable.

In a jam you can use the adjusting nut to back into the gear and drive it off. But thats easier when still on headstock, to hold assembly stable.

No, don't do this! The nut is made of CAST IRON and CANNOT take the forces required to push the gear off. All you will do is crack the nut and then need to have to replace THAT part, too. Ask me how I know...!

No, don't do this! The nut is made of CAST IRON and CANNOT take the forces required to push the gear off. All you will do is crack the nut and then need to have to replace THAT part, too. Ask me how I know...!

Lol, I can guess. I've done it twice on two different machines. At least with it mounted on machine I couldn't get jaws for a puller behind gear. I think a trick for me was not to spread nut too far, because of the split in it. If you can, leave the locking screw in nut, but just loose enough that nut can spin. The screw will keep nut from spreading too much.

LOL. Dave Sobel used to use two large, matched screwdrivers for this. "It works but be carefull... I don't recomment this for somebody that doesn't know what they're doing...."

I tried the two screwdriver trick and lost my nerve. I wasn’t smart enough to pull the gear while it was still in the machine. And, I tried the puller I have but the arms are too thick to get under the gear.

Looks like I’ll have to grind a bit off the puller and get the gear off.

This whole thing has gotten WAY out of hand. What was going to be new felt for the compound and cross slide and new nuts has turned into a full blown, crap strung out everywhere, hoping I can put it back together projects!

I finally got the gear box apart tonight so nothing is left together except the bed on the legs and the motor is still in there. I don’t want to pull that pig out.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

BB

This whole thing has gotten WAY out of hand. What was going to be new felt for the compound and cross slide and new nuts has turned into a full blown, crap strung out everywhere, hoping I can put it back together projects!

(The creek of an old, ancient door opening up. Many shadowy figures lurking. A thousand smiling eyes.)

A voice in the back: "He's one us now, let him in."

:D:D:D

If you have a blow torch, hammer your two screw drivers in again and just get gear warm, not red.

If your having trouble holding that assembly stable, might set it back in headstock with the two caps to hold it.

Should not have to force them in - I saw sobel do that in a 10L. Maybe there's a pin lurking in there somewhere on a 14?

My other go-to on this would be a bearing splitter to mount the puller on.

Maybe there's a pin lurking in there somewhere on a 14?

I looked at the exploded assembly drawing and the 14½ is just like the 10L - no pin in the gear. However, this DOESN'T mean that SB didn't decide to put one in there just to spite everyone. But with a key to hold the gear firm, adding a pin doesn't make sense.

It is supposed to be a light press fit on the spindle. Texas's suggesting of warming the gear up first may just free things up.

Steel gear and the steel spindle have the same thermal expansion rate. But it will do no harm to try. No torch though....

Then get a large bearing splitter that will fit behind the gear.

I find its better to work on 1 section of a machine at a time, when it is 100% ready to go back, then start the next section, it helps to keep me from that overwhelmed feeling:)

Ok, I used a little heat, a little dirty talking to it and a couple of medium pry bars and it’s off.

I appreciate the help. USPS says my felt kit will be here Saturday so some of this will start going back together Saturday night.

So rest assured, I’ll be back on here asking for advice.

Back