How many hours to you guys put in on your lathe at one time?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How many hours to you guys put in on your lathe at one time?

Today was my longest day using the lathe. Must have been about 9 hours with a one hour break in there where I cleaned up the yard and ate a sammich. I am beat and the brain is a bit mushy after concentrating that long. Made me curious as to how you guys approach it. I kept going because I wanted to just be left with a few drill press and tap operations and no lathe tomorrow!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't answer specifically. But not being in the fine physical form of some yesterdays ago, lol, I have days its painful to be on my feet for long periods. Makes me think the cool machine shop idea was not so cool, lol. Accept for the air conditioning in shop part, that's pretty cool.

Side thought, in thinking and planning, I feel like I've been taking more steps backward, to improve the forward step. With the idea the forward step will be much more polished and complete. Not entirely sure its true, but it feels comforting.

3. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    Can't answer specifically. But not being in the fine physical form of some yesterdays ago, lol, I have days its painful to be on my feet for long periods. Makes me think the cool machine shop idea was not so cool, lol. Accept for the air conditioning in shop part, that's pretty cool.

Side thought, in thinking and planning, I feel like I've been taking more steps backward, to improve the forward step. With the idea the forward step will be much more polished and complete. Not entirely sure its true, but it feels comforting.
    I have been just free wheeling so.... many wasted steps! Lot's of chips and a few parts made twice! Basically no organization but I am collecting experience points that are very useful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll occasionally work on something which for somebody experienced would probably take 45 minutes, but for me takes 4 hours

These days the lathe and I are adjusting to its new home in its new shop, and I've been doing tuneups and experiments after reading this forum. Averaging maybe an hour or two a day. I predict after I get past that phase the lathe will sit idle for a lot of the time, usage maybe 10 hours a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure in my younger and stronger days I've spent maybe 6 hours in front of a machine, but I've never been a professional machinist. OTOH, I've no doubt production people of the past spent 12 hour days in front of one machine every day.