What's new
What's new

How much do yall think this is worth?

Jakerz

Plastic
So I found a 9A with a 48" bed about 2 hours from where I live, I love the idea of the 48" and the machine looks really clean in the pictures but you can't really tell how much wear it has on it and it's been painted a terrible green color, lol. It also doesn't come with any tooling at all, but it's got a really nice looking table that's included.

Here's a link to the auction, hopefully no one snips it on here, lol.

The asking price seems kinda steep to not have any tooling though, or am I wrong on this?

South Bend Lathe 9 model A | eBay

Thanks,
Jake

Yes the prices is, well, kinda pricey. Without tooling, $500-$800. If it were reasonably tooled as in tool holders, tool post, centers, cutting bits, drill holder for tailstock, steady rest, $800-$1100. A plus is the chuck and the feed selection gearbox.

One item to keep in mind, a 9" lathe is very limited in what you can do. In my opinion, the 4' bed is a liability rather than an asset. The added length increases the flex of the bed and in reality, almost never used full length.

As far as wear, you can see where the scrapping marks are gone in the center of both the "V" and flat ways. Further examination would have to be in person.

Tom

It is listed with a "make an offer" option, so the listed price really isn't valid, in my opinion, nor is it the bottom dollar. Plus it is on eBay so the guy has to make up for the 14% that eBay and PP will take from him. Look on CL and other venues locally to see if it is listed at a lower price.

With no tooling and no taper attachment I'd say it's worth $1,000 to $1,200 around here. It would part out for over $1,000 so I can't find a reason he would sell it for less. Well tooled would easily bring $1,800 or more. Not long ago a nicely tooled 10k sold almost overnight for $2,600.

Poor thread title should/could be "9A with a 48" bed value?"

Bed ways look odd in photo #1 & #6 so buying with not a look-see would be chancy IMHO.

for $2K it should be near mint with a 4jaw and a steady..

2 hour drive is due because it may only be worth parting out if bed is washed out....I drive that far just to watch a grand son's base ball game.

looks like bench just added.
https://www.amazon.com/UltraHD-Adju...169&s=hi&sprefix=work+bench,tools,164&sr=1-21

I have never used a lathe with a link belt, wouldn't they have a habit of slipping? I also agree, that price is way too high. That is a $750 special if it doesn't come with tooling and accessories.

{it's been painted a terrible green color}
I do not think the color is that bad, have seen a lot worse..
A two hour drive is not that bad, and he may take a lower price..as of now too high.

Thanks for all the reply’s guys, I didn’t know they could be found for that cheap though, good to know. The only other one local I’ve found is a 9” B they want 2k for lol. I may see how the auction pans out and go look at it still, maybe offer them $800-$1000, I’ll probably get laughed at but the worst they can do is say no.

As for the 9”, I think whichever machine I do purchase that I’ll want a larger one. I’m in the process of building a custom motorcycle and I would like to shave the fork legs and make spacers and foot pegs and things like that, I would love a Heavy 10 but I think a 9” would be fine, most of what I’m working with is aluminum.

Thanks!
Jake

Back