What's new
What's new

How to remove a Heavy 10 Handlever Collet Closer?

Frank R

Stainless
I have a Heavy 10 that I picked up a few years ago and only use occasionally. It currently has a 3-jaw chuck on it as well as the hand lever collet closer on the left end.

Last night I needed to put a piece of stock through the head stock but it bumped into the right end of the collet closer. I then attempted to remove the assembly from the left end but it would not come out. The assembly spins freely but it will not pull out. I am thinking there is some kind of set screw or the like. BTW: the bracket that connects the hand lever (part 32) to the machine is broken but that should not play a part.

Any help would be appreciated.

Heavy 10 Collet Handlever.JPG

I have a Heavy 10 that I picked up a few years ago and only use occasionally. It currently has a 3-jaw chuck on it as well as the hand lever collet closer on the left end.

Last night I needed to put a piece of stock through the head stock but it bumped into the right end of the collet closer. I then attempted to remove the assembly from the left end but it would not come out. The assembly spins freely but it will not pull out. I am thinking there is some kind of set screw or the like. BTW: the bracket that connects the hand lever (part 32) to the machine is broken but that should not play a part.

Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 190807

Undo 30 and 31. Remove the bolt out the top and the entire lever and drawbar tube
will slide out of the spindle. If you want you can remove the link by pulling it straight
up off the pin at the end of the headstock. I tend to leave the link in place.

Do not lose the bolt. Do not lose the key that is a press fit into the closer, and engages the
female keyway on the spindle gear.

Undo 30 and 31. Remove the bolt out the top and the entire lever and drawbar tube
will slide out of the spindle. If you want you can remove the link by pulling it straight

Do not lose the bolt. Do not lose the key that is a press fit into the closer, and engages the

Thanks for the reply Jim. The bracket is broken so removing the bolt does not need to be done. I did start tapping the mechanism like a slide hammer and it began to loosen and then slide out. I saw the key you mentioned.

I guess this was a case when hammering on it made it work! :D

Will the 3 jaw chuck screw into the existing spindle?

Will the 3 jaw chuck screw into the existing spindle?

Back