What's new
What's new

I bought a 10L...now where do I find information?

Cheetah

Aluminum
I know this is the painful recycle newbie post everyone on every forum on the internet fears.

I've read the stickies, I've done multiple searches, I've even just gone page-by-page through this subforum reading posts and threads. There is a lot of good information here, and I'm thankful for that. I own the ILION book (though I admit I haven't thumbed through it in several years - this purchase has been a long time coming) and even paid the Grizzly price for the serial number card.

However, a lot of the info is dated. Websites are no longer active, dealers no longer exist, etc. I was disappointed to find what little info was contained on the Grizzly card.

Has anyone filled the void in the market left by the end of Tools4Cheap?

Is anyone aware of anyone currently making thread dial kits?

Is there any easy reference to see what parts are compatible from one lathe to the next (i.e. will a thread dial for a 9C fit my 10L? What about a follow rest from a 10 light? Micrometer stops? This list is destined to grow as I get to know my machine and hunt for parts, I'd hate to have to post a question every time I have one, if I know where to look for myself)

If parts are cross-compatible in some instances, how does one select a part number from factory manuals? I fear a lot of stuff on ebay listed as "heavy 10" may or may not actually be the correct part, so I'd like to educate myself before spending a small fortune for anything.

Last question (for now), where would I look up part numbers for complete assemblies of accessories? I can find the individual parts in exploded view for a steady rest, but I'm not sure what number I would look for when trying to find a complete steady rest assembly.

Thanks!

I have! I should have mentioned that...I'm familiar with wswells and Vintage Machinery. Tons of information between the two, but either I'm not seeing some things, don't know how to decipher some things, or some things just aren't there (I fully admit the former is more likely). Thanks jmm.

Has anyone filled the void in the market left by the end of Tools4Cheap?

There are plenty of people selling import tooling what exactly are you looking for?

Is anyone aware of anyone currently making thread dial kits?

No I don't, but I see plenty of thread dials around on Ebay and at swap meets etc.

Is there any easy reference to see what parts are compatible from one lathe to the next (i.e. will a thread dial for a 9C fit my 10L? What about a follow rest from a 10 light? Micrometer stops? This list is destined to grow as I get to know my machine and hunt for parts, I'd hate to have to post a question every time I have one, if I know where to look for myself)

Nothing from a 9" or 10K will cross over. Thread dials are interchangeable between the Heavy 10 (10L/10R) and the 13 inch by flipping the gear upside down.

If parts are cross-compatible in some instances, how does one select a part number from factory manuals? I fear a lot of stuff on ebay listed as "heavy 10" may or may not actually be the correct part, so I'd like to educate myself before spending a small fortune for anything.

Not much was cross compatible. The important thing for something like a steady rest is the center distance and way spacing. If you have the parts book (SBL publication CE3458) then you should notice a pattern in the part numbers. You'll also notice the 9" and 10K are not even in that publication.

Part numbers have letter suffixes that correspond to specific size lathes.
R = 10 Heavy
T = 13
F = 14-1/2
H = 16

So part with a letter suffix "FH" should fit both a 14-1/2 and 16 inch lathe. Again reference pub 3458 for specifics.

Last question (for now), where would I look up part numbers for complete assemblies of accessories? I can find the individual parts in exploded view for a steady rest, but I'm not sure what number I would look for when trying to find a complete steady rest assembly.

It won't matter because virtually no one posts those numbers in their adds. Look at the photos and the casting numbers and ask for measurements if still unsure.

Last edited:
Three are plenty of people selling import tooling what exactly are you looking for?

A small handful of things off the top of my head, but mostly curious for a "go-to shop" that I can reliably return to over time. The point of steady rests and tool posts from tools4less came up in several threads, but you've addressed the steady rest already.

No I don't, but I see plenty of thread dials around on Ebay and at swap meets etc.

I'm watching several on ebay currently. If that's the price I ultimately have to pay, then so be it. Just thought it would be nice to shop around, both on price and to potentially support "a local" at the same time. A couple of the current ebay listings look pretty well hammered for a healthy dose of dollars. Function is king, and they're a simple device, but they seem to be made of gold in some cases.

Nothing from a 9" or 10K will cross over. Thread dials are interchangeable between the Heavy 10 (10L/10R) and the 13 inch by flipping the gear upside down.

I had read the heavy 10 and 13 are interchangeable in this case, which is why I started to wonder where that commonality ended. Thank you for clarifying, that answers a lot of questions in my head.

Not much was cross compatible. The important thing for something like a steady rest is the center distance and way spacing. If you have the parts book (SBL publication CE3458) then you should notice a pattern in the part numbers. You'll also notice the 9" and 10K are not even in that publication.

Part numbers have letter suffixes that correspond to specific size lathes.
R = 10 Heavy
T = 13
F = 14-1/2
H = 16

So part with a letter suffix "FH" should fit both a 14-1/2 and 16 inch lathe. Again reference pub 3458 for specifics.

THANK YOU! I wasn't able to dig up a publication number for this parts book, nor locate the book itself. Now I've got the book in hand (er...on my desktop) and that's already clearing up a cloud of other mysteries. This alone all but solves this thread's purpose haha.

It won't matter because virtually no one posts those numbers in their adds. Look at the photos and the casting numbers and ask for measurements if still unsure.

I guess I misspoke in this regard. What do I reference for casting numbers? I see most sellers, even on ebay, have clear photos of casting numbers. The problem I'm running into is that I don't know how/where to reference these numbers to see what they fit. Looking at the steady rest page in the manual you referenced, I see "parts illustrated on this page are for unit code nos. SRD101R, and SRD101T," but the follower rest, thread dial, carriage stops, etc. just show "Unit code number stamped here" on the illustration. I don't see anywhere that tells what the code would be. I guess my question here is "where do I look to find the unit code of a given item?" Unfortunately my machine came from the factory with very little, and so doesn't have unit codes on the Grizzly S/N card.

One other thing I see somewhat frequently in manuals is delineating 10" models by 11/16", 1" or 1-1/16" collets. I assume 11/16" applies to 10R as I understand they have a 3/4" spindle bore. Am I correct to assume the 10L is 1" collet and I'm simply misreading the manual, and 1-1/16" is referring to 13" and larger machines? Or are some 10L's 1" and other 1-1/16" capable?

Seriously though, a million thanks for your post. You've cleared up so many of my questions in one swoop. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

The 10L and 13” thread dials are NOT interchangeable :nono:
The 13” and 16” have the same pitch leadscrew and the 13” dial gear can be turned over to fit the 16”
Ted

Shars, KBC for carbide tooling/inserts.
A.R. Warner for HSS tooling/inserts if you don't want to grind your own.

Seems to be a fair number of sellers on ebay offering the gear for the thread dial. Once you have that, the rest is easy.

Unfortunately, there's no central repository for info on these machines; however, all the answers are out there on the internet somewhere. Whatever question you have, you can be pretty sure that someone has already answered it.

Thanks for all the info so far, everyone. I'd seen Shars, but wasn't sure if the quality was worth owning, or if it's more of a Harbor Freight approach to things.

Sounds like I may have a line on a thread dial, so that quandary is solved.

My only real remaining question; where does one find casting numbers? The items I'm finding on ebay and the like have casting numbers that don't match up with any accessory catalogs I'm looking at on wswells, nor any of the individual parts in the repair parts books I'm seeing. Not only don't match my 10L, but don't seem to match part numbers given for any lathes in the catalogs, from 9-16". Am I just looking the wrong spot?

An example; I'm seeing most steady rests on ebay have casting numbers in the locations denoted by the repair parts manual matching or similar to "SRD-101R," which I find no reference to in manuals or catalogs. Clearly "casting number" is different than "catalog number" or "part number," so where are the actual casting numbers documented?

Thanks again!

Back