What's new
What's new

I bought a Chipmaster2

tal35

Plastic
I bought a chipmaster 2 and am wondering if I can convert it to single phase? It is
3 phase 460v 5hp as of now. It needs some parts, like a new plastic handle etc. Here are a couple pics. I dont know whether to fix it up or scrap it out.20201214_153435(1).jpg20201214_153509.jpg20201214_153540.jpg

I have never seen one. Not sure if its American made or a re-branding. Knowing nothing about it, looks like a decent Bridgeport clone.

5hp is a bit surprising for this style mill. J head bridgeports were 1 to 1.5hp, while the later Series 2 Bridgeport's were like 2 to 4hp. I suppose if you found a flange style single phase motor, it could be done. Would probably do alright with a 2 or 3hp motor too. "C" frame mounting motor I believe is mounted that way.

If it were me I'd leave it 3 phase, but wire for low voltage 208-240v, use a phase convertor.

Be interesting to see more if you keep it. Post on it if you do.

Nice machine. I think you'd be a lot farther ahead buying a 5 hp VFD that will run it, especially if you can feed it with 220v single phase. They are reasonably priced.

Not sure what Ted means about the machine already having a VFD. That could complicate the project.

What is a VFD? I know its a variable speed unit. I believe up to 5000 rpm . I paid $480 for it and trying to decide whether to move it home or what to do.

I have never seen one. Not sure if its American made or a re-branding. Knowing nothing about it, looks like a decent Bridgeport clone.
It is the same machine that Republic Lagoon sells...made in Spain

N

Not sure what Ted means about the machine already having a VFD. That could complicate the project.
Ted means that it has a VFD already in the machine from the factory

What is a VFD? I know its a variable speed unit. I believe up to 5000 rpm . I paid $480 for it and trying to decide whether to move it home or what to do.

Variable Frequency Drive
Where in Indiana are you?

Ted
[email protected]

This has been the shortest " I'd change it to this " thread on record! Had the makings of a good old technical gab.

And then along comes Ted and ..... bang.......has all of the answers now!

Awesum!!!

Pete

chipmaster 2

This has been the shortest " I'd change it to this " thread on record! Had the makings of a good old technical gab.

And then along comes Ted and ..... bang.......has all of the answers now!

Awesum!!!

Pete

I am near ft wayne.

"scrap it out"? NO. That is a nice mill. Re-sell it to someone who wants it, at minimum. Take some detailed pictures inside the electrical cabinet with emphasis on informative placards and post them. If you want to get it running, there are members here who are quite expert at overcoming electrical problems like not having 480V 3-phase. You may find it too daunting, but I think scraping that mill would be a criminal.

Go price a good milling vice, you got the mill free and paid $480.00 for the vice..I just got a used mill this fall and there not cheap.

I ended up parting it out, I have the table, bed, head, motor, VFD, screws, bearings etc. I listed it on the for sale section. S/N is also listed there . These were Lagun Mills I believe.

Back