What's new
What's new

I got my new thread 10K thread dial from Grizzly

dcstang1967

Aluminum
I got my new 10K thread dial from Grizzly

I was skeptical that this would work on my lathe because i couldnt find any good pictures of it, but it is for an 8tpi leadscrew so i figured to take the chance for only $50 compared to the crazy prices i see on ebay for them. Looks like it should work just fine. The gear meshes with the leadscrew perfect. I just need to mount it to the apron somehow. I can either drill a hole in the side of the apron for it, or make some kind of bracket for it that mounts to the halfnut gib screws. I also picked up one of those nice brass South Bend badges. Its about 2-7/16" diameter and was only $15.

Let me know what you guys think is a better mounting option and why. Also open to other mounting options as well.

3ba63e91a49ff1cc41d89222a9260d2d.jpg
3f50da75d3e5671ea302d43fe8dfb940.jpg
bd2fa76bc73302ee177c013e5a3fb588.jpg

Curious, as I'm not familiar with the 10K (own a 9A), only know they're similar... if the apron didn't at least come drilled for the threading dial from the factory, is there a mounting surface for it on the apron? Can't tell from your pic, but looks like a slot in the apron right in the area where it might mount?

Bigger question, I can't imagine a lathe, not at least being prepped for a dial (even if it were a factory option). I mean, threading is one of the primary machining operations on a lathe- how could it be done without a threading dial? Still in the learning phase as to machining- so what am I missing here?

Curious, as I'm not familiar with the 10K (own a 9A), only know they're similar... if the apron didn't at least come drilled for the threading dial from the factory, is there a mounting surface for it on the apron? Can't tell from your pic, but looks like a slot in the apron right in the area where it might mount?

Bigger question, I can't imagine a lathe, not at least being prepped for a dial (even if it were a factory option). I mean, threading is one of the primary machining operations on a lathe- how could it be done without a threading dial? Still in the learning phase as to machining- so what am I missing here?
My lathe happens to be a 1919 13" and never came with a dial. There is no spot for one and even in the original sales adds it never mentions a thread dial.
90c1460176f979c6dfd2093a9cc0947b.jpg

Its says the lathe is indexed to cut threads, but not sure what that means. I see no marks on it and parts have been repaired and replaced over the last 98 years of service

When drilling and tapping the apron look before you leap and make sure you are not drilling into the workings of the apron. The apron may not be thick enough in the spot where you would need to drill to mount the thread dial. If that is the case get a block of metal 1"x1"x3" (the exact dimensions are not important) drill two clearance holes in the to mount the block to the apron and two cosponsoring holes to be tapped in the apron. Mount the block and mark it in the correct location to mount the thread dial then take the block off and drill it for a slip fit for the stud on you thread dial. Then drill and tap a hole on the face of the block for a set screw to lock the thread dial in place.

Did you receive any directions with the thread dial. The ones in How to Run a Lathe will not work because there are too many marks on the dial compared to the original thread dial which has 4 numbers and 4 half marks.

No, but its pretty simple. Just disreguard the numbers and treat the lines like there are only 8 lines and 4 numbers. Stay on even numbers or on odd numbers as long as you work with one quadrant at a time.

I went through a bunch of catalogs from the early 1900s a couple of years ago because I was curious about thread dials. The earliest one I found was about 1911. The funny thing was that Hendey even offered them. A Hendey lathe had no use for a threading dial. It had a feed reverse system that made the dial un-necessary.
I think I would fabricate an L bracket and anchor the dial to the T slot. That way you don't deface an antique machine,end the dial won't flop around.

Did you receive any directions with the thread dial. The ones in How to Run a Lathe will not work because there are too many marks on the dial compared to the original thread dial which has 4 numbers and 4 half marks.

The additional marks are handy when one is using it for indexing multiple start threads.

I got some more work done on it this weekend. I got the threading dial all mounted and working. I had made an aluminum carriage lock for it a while back and decided it would be easy for me to just tig weld a 1/2" thick vertical plate onto it. This was the easiest mounting option for me. I also got all my gear guards painted and mounted and decided to put that nice brass nameplate on the large door.

65078eb9d43be4ac52fcaf367041216b.jpg

d591a47e142b62c5d240cd37927c0a38.jpg

Im not sure if it mounts the same, but i can measure it for you in the morning. Does the 9a have an 8tpi leadscrew?

Based on what I'm seeing on Ebay, the 9" and 10K lathes use the same leadscrews. Only the 10L is different.

Only the mounting is different, the lead screw is also 8 pitch.The 13 and larger have the 6 pitch screw.Brackets or small blocks of steel can be used to adapt the mounting for chasing dials as long as the gear has the right number of teeth.

Back