What's new
What's new

I have the Apron out Have questions 113A 13"

Janderso

Aluminum
Hi,
I had a great weekend getting to know my new to me SB Lathe. I removed the apron and partially stripped it to gain access to clean with diesel fuel. I found very few chips compared to other aprons I saw on you tube.
My question, the felts are all there and seem to be intact. Will they still wick up the oil with the diesel saturation?
The oil passages were mostly plugged with shlapump (my Mother's term).
Which oil goes in the apron? A-B orC?
The more I get to know this lathe the more I appreciate the innovative engineering and quality of construction/assembly considering it was manufactured around Pearl Harber. -119315.
See the pics.IMG_0034.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

You already have it off, might as well put new wicks in it. Lube is the life of the machine and if the wicks are soaked in diesel I wouldn't risk it. It doesn't take that long and it will let you clean it even better.

There are lubrication charts floating around that show which oil goes where. If you buy one of the wicking kits with oils off eBay it will come with a lube chart.

Since you already have it off I think you would be better off buying the kit from Steve Wells off Ebay. It will also have the oil, a manual, and a nice lube chart. You can change the felts in the apron, and will have the remaining felts in case you need them later for other areas.

I am having a hard time not tearing it down at least to a point I can gain access to install fresh wicks. I cleaned it up pretty good but the wicks are not going to work. Diesel is not an adequate machine oil and it would not flush without intervention. I'll take the advise and buy the kit. Thanks guys.

I am having a hard time not tearing it down at least to a point I can gain access to install fresh wicks. I cleaned it up pretty good but the wicks are not going to work. Diesel is not an adequate machine oil and it would not flush without intervention. I'll take the advise and buy the kit. Thanks guys.

There is a guy that has a good utube video on rebuilding an apron and changing the wicks. Halligan 142.

Hi,
I had a great weekend getting to know my new to me SB Lathe. I removed the apron and partially stripped it to gain access to clean with diesel fuel. I found very few chips compared to other aprons I saw on you tube.
My question, the felts are all there and seem to be intact. Will they still wick up the oil with the diesel saturation?
The oil passages were mostly plugged with shlapump (my Mother's term).
Which oil goes in the apron? A-B orC?
The more I get to know this lathe the more I appreciate the innovative engineering and quality of construction/assembly considering it was manufactured around Pearl Harber. -119315.
See the pics.View attachment 220998View attachment 220999View attachment 221000

Cleaning with diesel shouldn't be a problem. Though I don't recall where, I read about cleaning felts with kerosene, and diesel and kerosene aren't that far a apart, with kerosene being just a bit cleaner.

Filling with oil, and shooting some oil on wicks should have them absorb it regardless.

That being said, I'd still replace them if they are crunchy and old-ish. In part to fresh wicks, but also where the wicks are in contact with moving parts they begin to collect metal particles and chips. Like where shafts for gears spin in apron housing, there is a felt in a cut in relief to lube the rotating part. Most assuredly, you will find small metal particles on that felt.

These aprons are not super tight, nor do they operate are at super fast speeds. So I don't personally fret too much about which oil, as long as its slippery, clean, and the level is full.

Since I have the time and I need to get to know this shop tool, I think I will go ahead and replace the felts. I have looked through the Stick's, I have not found a source for the oilers-gets oil? I see in the original parts list the one I really need (there was an empty hole) is the 289A, oil tube, sold by the inch. This one spans to the reservoir that drips down to the upper half nut and on to the main feed screw. I will also replace the missing/damaged oilers.
Sorry but I could not find a source. Thanks!! For everything.
Jeff

The oiler I need is the long one in the picture. I also need to replace several of the vertical Gits oilers. Where do you guys get this stuff??
Thankss-l1600.jpg

You have to make the long one...but you can buy the elbow part and solder in the extension....I don't think they are belled like the original, if so you just do it in reverse-bell the extension.

McMaster is good source....just type Gits oiler in Google shopping and lots of sources crop up.

Scour here to get the part numbers of the ones you want to make your search easier.
Oil Hole Cups and Covers | GITS Manufacturing

One way I found for gits is ebay. Also another way is Amazon, the ones from Amazon work, but maybe quality is different in years past, also I usually have to grind down a little piece of spring poking out by cover so as not to get stabbed or scraped. On amazon it helps if you have the part number in search. I use the gits site for part number, then search it on amazon.

Gits links:

Lubrication | GITS Manufacturing

Where do you guys get [Gits oilers]??
In addition to McMaster-Carr which someone already mentioned, you can also get them from Motion Industries. The price, including shipping, is slightly less through Motion Industries but if there are other items you need from McMaster-Carr it might make sense to buy from them.

Wow, Mcmaster-Carr has much better pricing for oilers. Don, you are correct sir, it would be best to place one order and add as much as needed to save shipping. Amazon had oilers but very pricey even though my Prime account negated the freight charges. Great tip.
I am learning, having a ball also. I found the 10wt. oil at Napa. ISO 32 is hydraulic fluid. The 20w has been a bit more challenging but I found it. It's easy to find by the 5 gallon keg, one of the counter guys said, all the farmers use it. I know plenty of farmers, I'll just get a pint from one of my friends.
I am tearing down the Apron, the condition is incredible. Very little wear, in fact the half nuts manually clamped to the main feed screw has no lateral movement that I could identify. I just ordered the felt kit. I am missing one of the way wiper retainers, I will make one out of brass or copper sheet.
Jeff

Back