What's new
What's new

I have obtained a South Bend Lathe w/ ser # 90841 and I have no idea how to use it

Torch709

Plastic
I have obtained a South Bend Lathe w/ ser # 90841 and I have no idea how to use it. I am not sure what to do to get it to work. Seems to be in good condition for having sat idle for decades. It also came with lots of tools and accessories. I am looking for info/guidance about this machine. I am not sure that I want to keep/restore it, or give it to someone who knows what to do with it.

Post some pictures to feed the appetites around here. It will be much easier to help if folks know what you are dealing with and how yours is setup. If you want to learn how to use the incredible tool that is on you but entirely achievable with some patience and care.

Rebuild it and enjoy a satisfying hobby.

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How To Run A Lathe 55th Edition | VintageMachinery.org

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How To Run A Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

These south bend books will help you out to get started. Two links for a 2 part book.
Anthony Anderson submitted this to publication reprints on Vintage machinery.com
More information below to learn from.
The SBL Workshop
SBL Serial Number File

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Watch a bunch of Tubal Cain videos on YouTube. If it has been idle for that long it probably needs new wicks to carry lube to the various shafts and bearings.

Torch709.. Tell us how you got the lathe and why, post some photos of the lathe and tools and accessories you talked about,
lots of smart people here that can tell you all about it..

IMG_0367.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_0369.jpg

Not sure if I am doing this correctly. One image didn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 83
I "inherited" it from an elderly customer of mine. Her husband had passed away, she was moving into assisted living, and asked me to get rid of it for her. She wanted to pay me to haul it away. I didn't charge her because I kept it for myself. Photos below.

You did get a lot of stuff with the lathe, some of it is a jig and clamps that is non lathe related..
The three small chucks you have are not for that lathe {look like Emco Unimat} if lathe was free you did real good, and helped a friend out also.

Back