What's new
What's new

I need a little help '68 10L

erkohr

Plastic
I am almost finished with my restoration of a 1968 10L, but ran into a little snag. I have the floor style base, and have no idea how or where the underdrive spring attaches to in the cabinet. The lathe was in peices when I bought it, and I have probably spent hours looking for pictures, diagrams, or anything to give me a hint, but my search has been fruitless. I could easily rig something up to work, but really would like to do it as originally designed. If anyone could share a picture or information that would help me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

20180513_052130.jpg

If no one helps you before tonight I'll take a picture of one I have in the shop and post it up in the morning.

It looks really nice so far. Good job.

Thank you. I am actually a bit sad that I am almost done with it. It has been a lot of work, but it has become an obsession, and somehow therapeutic. I am already looking for my next restore project, have my eye on a South Bend 7" shaper. Below is what my lathe looked like when I bought it.
20180522_113209.jpg

Usually, there is a hole in the upper right side of the housing where a spring pin is mounted, but I don't have any experience with your style of cabinet.

On mine, the spring is mounted as shown below:

SPRING.jpg

Thank you, I can't find any pictures or diagrams of my style base that shows how and where it connects either.

I am almost finished with my restoration of a 1968 10L, but ran into a little snag. I have the floor style base, and have no idea how or where the underdrive spring attaches to in the cabinet. The lathe was in peices when I bought it, and I have probably spent hours looking for pictures, diagrams, or anything to give me a hint, but my search has been fruitless. I could easily rig something up to work, but really would like to do it as originally designed. If anyone could share a picture or information that would help me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

View attachment 229038

see attached, 1968 10L floor leg cabinet

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

Thank you! Exactly what I needed, that was one of the many ways I thought it might go. I do have that bracket and thought it might be what it was used for. So nice to know for sure how and where it goes, you just made my night, Thank You!

View attachment 229038
Looks great. I have the same style 10L (1960). What did you use for primer and paint ?

Thanks, Jim

Sorry, just now seeing your post. I used Krylon professional gray sandable primer, and Sherwin-williams Sher Kem fast dry. I have since restored a South Bend Shaper, this time I used Sherwin-williams Kem Bond HS industrial primer and their Industrial Enamel HS.

Attachments

• 20180903_084736.jpg
    20180903_084736.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180907_204204.jpg
    20180907_204204.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 82

Back