What's new
What's new

I need to make a bushing

SteveinLA

Aluminum
HI Guys,
I have a Roto-Hoe Chip N' Shred. It is a chipper/shredder for yard debris. It is powered with a B&S 5hp engine. It has an idler pulley with a bronze bushing. That bushing is wasted and I need to make a new one. What material should I make it out of? (I know, bronze, but specifically, which bronze alloy.) I have 1" brass bar in stock (also 1" aluminum 6061 T6).
Gee I love having an old South Bend to help me along!
Thanks
R, Steve

932 bronze works well. Tiger Stripe 954 Aluminum bronze works well too. I have used both and many bushings. McMaster Carr’s website is a good guide for bronze material applications fwiw. I keep a bar or two handy of 954 and 932 for those custom jobs that always appear when you least expect it.[emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might be surprised to find it’s a standard size. Look at McMaster or plug the sizes into Amazon. The material to make from scratch will likely exceed the cost of a pre-made bearing, especially not counting your time.

Hi PmGracer, thank you.
Hi michiganbuck, do you have a Chip N' Shred?
Hi Flail, you guys are the best. I find on McMaster-Carr something very close: for a 5/8" shaft, 7/8" housing I.D., 1 1/4" long (mine is 1 1/2" long; short by 1/4". that might work). Flange O.D. 1 1/4", flange thickness 1/8".

Certainly the right price at $4.42. part #7815K44 932 bronze bearing

It's a little short but it doesn't need an FAA certification.

What do you guys think?

R, Steve

Hi Chipss,
I was just kidding about the FAA cert. Do you know what a Roto-Hoe Chip N' Shred is? There are videos on youtube. I have found that when the blades are sharp and the clearance between them and the support block is properly adjusted, it works very well. I love my Chip N' Shred. It's not a large machine so it gets around my residential property easily.
R, Steve

QY:{Hi michiganbuck, do you have a Chip N' Shred?]

I have a chipper shredder up at kellyroadcamp but I don't know what make it is.

I started to pile up my brush to provide habitat for rabbits and the like.
for a long time, I was making huge brush piles and burning them in the winter, so the property was actually too clean /cleared.

You can see the brush pile burning at my kellyroadcamp.com web site.

*Just for the fun of it, He could have/should have bought one 1/4" too long and then bought a surface grinder to grind it to the correct length.

Those bushings are cheap and in stock at Tractor supply, Lowes, etc. Many sizes available. No need to order and pay shipping.

Personally speaking, I have lost ALL confidence in any of those stores having anything near
the size I need for a part. (Maybe an Ace Hardware, but that would be the extent of it).
Handtruck wheels, spray paint, and chain...sure, no problem.

Just saying.
PMc

View attachment 310420

You guys are funny!
Buy one with a roller bearing in it ...crike! I wish I had read that earlier! Oh well, MMC did deliver the next day. I was surprised to say the least. Most stores are a waste of time. However, we have a True Value hardware store close by that has a great bolt, nut, screw, washer, etc. section! I love this place!

So, I got a 4 1/2" long, 5/8" bolt and used it for an arbor. Centered it in a 4 jaw chuck to 0.002 TIR. I thought that was pretty good. Turned it down, pressed it in with a little help from a bench vise. Of course the ID was a little too tight so ...I wrapped some emery cloth around a wooden dowel and spun it up in a drill. I know, not the least bit elegant, but it gave a great running fit. Tomorrow I'll put it back together and grind up some Christmas trees (they make great mulch).

...and Bob's your uncle...

I love my lathe although I'm not much of a machinist.

R, Steve

Back