What's new
What's new

Identify Lathe 9C or 9 Junior

jkull

Aluminum
I purchased a 9C lathe and planned to restore it. I started disassembling the lathe before I got an unexpected medical diagnosis and taking chemo indefinitely. I doubt that I'll have the energy or time to finish restoration any time soon. I'd like to sell the parts individually or all together, but I'd don't know exactly how to describe the lathe. Is it a regular 9C or is it a 9 Junior? Serial number 77354 puts it at about 1937. It has top oilers and felts that contact the top of the bearing. Apparently it was a good system because after 80+ years the spindle bearings are in very good condition. There's no catalog number shown on the name plate. What is the correct description of this lathe?

Attachments

• IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 103
I believe it is the Workshop model. I think the banjo for the change gears will tell you definitively. The Workshop lathe had a single "arm" while the 9C had a double arm.

If you decide to part your lathe out, I'd love to have that 3/8" 8-point wrench that I see there:D

That's a 9-C and not a 9 Jr. The Jr. lathes had a top oiler bearing cap but the bearing cap was removeable. The 9-C Workshop lathe did not have bearing caps you could remove.

Jim, It is a Workshop#15, the Workshop 9C has a different head-stock with a capillary oiling system.

The SBL Workshop - 9" Workshop information

Steve

Thanks Steve
It does seem to match the description of the #15 with a couple exceptions:
The saddle lock is on the right front saddle wing, not the left wing.
The compound gear is 18/108t.
The turning gear is 116t.
It does appear to be a 1937 lathe based on the serial number and it has 31137 cast into the bed.

The saddle lock exception is a mistake in my document, you are correct it should read right front wing.
I'll add the compound and turning gear to the list, thank you.
In advertising it for sale I would just call it a 9 inch Workshop Standard Change Gear lathe.
If you need anything Jim, let me know.

Steve

There is another oddity I hadn't seen before. For tension on the back gear lever there is a spring-loaded pin sticking out of the left end of the headstock and pressing against the flange on the back gear lever. There's no or tension spring on the back side of the headstock. You can't see it until the back gear lever is removed.

The saddle lock exception is a mistake in my document, you are correct it should read right front wing.
I'll add the compound and turning gear to the list, thank you.
In advertising it for sale I would just call it a 9 inch Workshop Standard Change Gear lathe.
If you need anything Jim, let me know.

Steve

Hi Jim sorry to hear about your condition[emoji45]
Are you in the USA?
Reason I ask is I'm looking for a set of change gears but I'm in the UK.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes, in US.
I've decided to refurbish the lathe. Getting to the shop a couple hours a day is good therapy. It may take a while to complete. Now we have this "shelter in place" order so I can't get out.
After reevaluating the lathe I decided it was too nice to sell it in pieces, even though it would bring much more in pieces than whole. It has the original compound and turning gears as well as a complete set of threading gears.

The lathe has a couple oddities. One interesting fact: According to the serial number card it was originally sold to Gits Bros. in Chicago, the company that make the oilers found on the lathe.

Hi Jim sorry to hear about your condition[emoji45]
Are you in the USA?
Reason I ask is I'm looking for a set of change gears but I'm in the UK.

Good luck to you matey, get it going and have some fun with it! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji123]

Back