What's new
What's new

Identify this Southbend?

calderp

Aluminum
I'm a welder/fabricator with very litte machinist experience, been looking for a small lathe for quite a while to teach myself a few things. Mainly looking to fill an occasional need to fabricate bushings and similar simple turned pieces. This Southbend came up for $600. They're relatively rare here in the South. I'm looking at it on Wednesday. Was hoping someone might be able to ID it from the picture so I can better do my homework on what to look for. The seller has not run it, he's selling for someone else but at that price as long as the ways are not completely worn out or other major issue I think it would serve my needs well.

lathe.jpg

1947ish 9" Model B

i could be wrong on the date, but am pretty sure they only used that style bed feet for a couple years....it possibly has the "intermediate style bed casting" with "South Bend" cast into the top of a bed web, not that it makes any difference.

Hopefully it has the change gears? If so for the price in an iron starved area I'd say get it if the mechanicals are in order. If no gears then plan on spending up to 250 bucks for them...or if it makes economic sense you could add a quick change gearbox for not much more.

Thanks, much appreciated!

1947ish 9" Model B

i could be wrong on the date, but am pretty sure they only used that style bed feet for a couple years....it possibly has the "intermediate style bed casting" with "South Bend" cast into the top of a bed web, not that it makes any difference.

Hopefully it has the change gears? If so for the price in an iron starved area I'd say get it if the mechanicals are in order. If no gears then plan on spending up to 250 bucks for them...or if it makes economic sense you could add a quick change gearbox for not much more.

I have an earlier B model workshop lathe. They are a particularly nice machine to have in the corner of your shop. If you have the gears there are charts available on this site that will allow you to make many odd threads including some metric,by compounding the standard gears of that machine.It has power long and cross feed.It will also make 27 pitch threads straight up.The 27 requires an optional gear on the quick change machines.An excellent personal lathe.

Back