What's new
What's new

identifying mystery collet closer nose-piece for south bend heavy ten

weissman42

Plastic
so, a mystery collet closer that i bought from a fellow at a flea market years ago for $15 dollars appears to be a perfect fit for the heavy ten i just bought... a strange and happy coincidence.
a question for the forum? the taper seems to be about 1.630 at the widest point, and 1.500 at the narrowest end, and the taper is just about 2" long. does that seem correct for the south bend spindle taper on a large bore heavy ten? thanks

IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_7765.jpg

so, a mystery collet closer that i bought from a fellow at a flea market years ago for $15 dollars appears to be a perfect fit for the heavy ten i just bought... a strange and happy coincidence.
a question for the forum? the taper seems to be about 1.630 at the widest point, and 1.500 at the narrowest end, and the taper is just about 2" long. does that seem correct for the south bend spindle taper on a large bore heavy ten? thanks

View attachment 258602
View attachment 258603

Uhhh.. you, not we, have the collet goods in-hand? And now also the lathe?

Should cost you about ONE US$ to pop by any of the "Dollar-whatever" stores for a tube of lipstick you can use instead of spotting blue to just go and confirm it FITS?

Sex, OTOH? Welll.. don't start with cheap lipstick, nor get caught "borrowing", (lipstick or anything else..) and that should work out for "full contact" OK on its own..

:)

congrats, it is indeed happy, but hardly strange, there are a lot of heavy tens out there.

you have the spindle and the closer, if they fit they fit, you don't need us to tell you.

clean, check for dings, embedded chips or other damage, stone high spots carefully with an extra fine stone and buff with 1000 grit paper.
use some blue or other disclosing agent (sharpie if you don't have anything better) and twist together. look for full contact.

Looks nearly identical the the 5C adapter for my 13.

h1HXJBeKCR_9kH4Rw4CLUFYcdx7hUf8jRcaqu2WiGVNndCWAtK4e8s4FJl7Fuy53OwzHQysHuLyJMXK7_L4MnAQOx3Ba2sBKGVBBarmmBVj5IMWAHfZJRWeFperJwRWRZjtBMwR3Wx1LntDcMPchvPd1s0Hj93K4EL65dBXPTXoQSNuTcmyqyehN4JgTt5hrjUW4bHneK3u_kNQh1wXyBSahOLJfknydAgCueIObKWk0pbvD9V0uDcPwGP6s5_ulHV781RB5BJUhWAvPSwlp9BG2RruWh_arFTYDn6cudSokfzovIyuiVaRdqRv5Ec9cvSPRFQil2SPzmoaXYFjVPrBHg43kYJTFjSKnQisa65pABp8IIFQ50EejWGxu2xrgaEt3uWmZ_0PL9QiuOut6kvzrHiVv5_52G1GGdV9_cKlldO_G9cQas_BUD9E2BP5obXFTx7zDIaMBdP_EzmyAKyEm-qux8qxVDoDLbnDQOIlIDQP6b_jPblt-DpNoFNeqnMJ0vEcydbmS2U3ximtvKVPOK4D9YAyN6bWlyIE3rHThosqN1fNVCBmwVspqYzNweG3FCtKs3ntaUZpr9MT6uwnGEqwyIWndh0u3D4HV9nyGqqT-H4Gp361am4ewFLLHv60p0ncIPvYXTTYTiOfT0Unq3L1WV7aTGjZdeh0R-vp5AS2OJAQ6tcVlagBJzHr9J7-vk7SNGA6fPOmVeHWhIx80cQ=w1024

Most of the time, part #25 is missing from these. Sometimes, part #6 is also missing (but can be easily fabricated). Did you get #25 with your flea market score? Without the gear, I don't believe that the closer will properly operate, because part #22 has to be inserted into part #25. Also, the dimensions for your closer appear to be correct.

Hand Lever Collet Attachment 10L.jpg

that looks a bit different than the one that i have, i'll try to post a picture of it not installed on the lathe so you can see the whole thing. it does fit quite well on the lathe. and the collet closer seems to fit, but as the inside of the spindle unfortunately has a little bit of corrosion it seems to not seat all the way. i will try applying blueing and testing fit to see contact. i do need to gently clean inside of spindle at taper. the lathe was apparently unused for a while and didnt get oiled enough.

From your picture, it looks like you used one of the rear bearing cap bolts as the bracket stud. Is that so?

Also, if it is a SB part, there will be PT990LT2 on the yoke lever between the handle and the ring on one of the sides.

Looks like mine, though it appears that the closer assy. is not complete. I don't think mine is either, but it works just fine.

WP_20180213_07_59_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20180312_07_35_43_Pro.jpg

Looks like mine, though it appears that the closer assy. is not complete. I don't think mine is either, but it works just fine.

It appears that you are missing the extended gear, part #25. It replaces the present gear and extends the spindle out about an inch. The part with the Woodruff key slot engages a slot in the extended gear with a loose press fit.

It appears that you are missing the extended gear, part #25. It replaces the present gear and extends the spindle out about an inch. The part with the Woodruff key slot engages a slot in the extended gear with a loose press fit.

Actually, it would seem that the only thing missing is the woodruff key.

WP_20190615_12_48_10_Pro[1].jpg

Actually, it would seem that the only thing missing is the woodruff key.

Okay, yes you have the extended gear, but it appears that your tube is too long (there are three different sizes). It's possible that your tube is for a model with a different spindle type, like a D1-4 or a L00. That part with the Woodruff slot is supposed to be snugly fitted into the extended gear. However, if it works okay, then don't sweat the details.

Back