What's new
What's new

I'm confused...

blacksmythx

Plastic
Not sure exactly what I have in order to get the correct rebuild parts kit and saddle way wiper retainer. Since I am replacing the spindle with one with the big bore will I be able to find a serpentine belt that I can install without cutting it?
Thanks

20191026_110505.jpg20191023_162554.jpg20191026_110038.jpg20191026_105830.jpg

Attachments

• 20191026_105946.jpg
    20191026_105946.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 109
This is a 1942 Toolroom Heavy ten with the Regular (small hole) spindle.
The second question requires a photo of the headstock and base, if it's an underdrive and not a bench drive,
you will have to splice the belt.

Steve

Here is where my confusion comes in, this lathe was not completely assembled when I received it. There was a container with random parts which included one way wiper retainer which does not fit. The retainer looks like one for a Heavy 10 but mine looks like the skinny ones.

20191026_105859.jpg20191026_110322.jpg

The skinny part of the wiper points to the outside of the lathe on each side, looking at the lathe from the end. The one in your picture looks like it would go on the back side - not the front side.

Edit: There's two front wiper and two rear wipers in a set of 4.

We've had some wind down here and the power is off over at the shop so I took these in the dark. If this is a Heavy 10 wiper it don't fit. There's no guarantee that all this went to this lathe and I don't think it did. In the photo with the probe through the wiper hole it is too high.
20191026_145859.jpg20191026_150106.jpg20191026_150249.jpg

The retainers are not supposed to drag the ways. That would wear them out. They should sit a tad high. When you stuff the felt wiper underneath it may fit fine.

Those look almost like the one's on my 14" Rockwell lathe. Made of pot metal. I'm thinking the one's for the SBL are stamped from brass sheet.
Ken

Ok so we all agree that I should should shut up and order the kit that was recommended to start with?

Agreed. BUT, that kit I believe only contains the felts that go in the wiper holder. One's for the 9" lathe may work I don't know. Best to hold out for a used set on eBay. OR, you can make your own from solid stock. There's nothing there that says they need to be brass other than the though of these rubbing against the ways in use. And brass would be better than steel, and even made from aluminum works too.

For the price go for it! If anything they will work until a real set come available or as I said, make a set if you have a mill available to you. the plastic over time may degrade from the oils used and it may not. A hot chip or two over time may melt into the plastic. It wouldn't stop me from buying a set. Anything better that none at all. Ken

EDIT: This guy also has both the way wiper housing and felt in a set. Unless you bought the felt from him, any other felt may, may not work.

Back