What's new
What's new

SB9a Compound Rest Slide Handle Thread

Stevemannell

Plastic
Hi. Ive just brought an old south bend 9a lathe. I have the handle for the compound rest but retaining nut is missing. Ive made up a key but was wondering if anyone knows the thread type ? I can then make a new nut. Thanks

Hi. Ive just brought an old south bend 9a lathe. I have the handle for the compound rest but retaining nut is missing. Ive made up a key but was wondering if anyone knows the thread type ? I can then make a new nut. Thanks

"Type" should be US 60-degree ignorant vee? Prolly just BUY one, stateside. Ready-to-use or easy to modify.

Not as easy in Blighty, but size and TPI you can just measure? Whitworth root & rounded crown won't HURT anything.. so long as the flanks are US, not Whitworth.

The thread is 12-24 NC

Days gone by, suburban London supply outfits, Blighty already metrifuckated for some years, I saw such goods labeled as XX-YY US. The distinction between NC, NF, AN, or SAE was left to the seeker to look-up off the size and TPI. No longer the UK's problem.

Could was there are more than a few local sources after all. Taps, f'instance. Why single-point if one need not?

UK didn't scrap EVERYTHING when they converted! British two-wheelers all by themselves provide safe-harbour for more weird fasteners than even the "Imperial WAR Museum" could keep good track of!

US bikes.. and bang-sticks... are WORSE. Of course. Contrarianism thing.

The nicest thing about "standards" is how very many of them one can defy and depart from!
:D

Back