I'm probably purchasing a South Bend 9A this morning. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks well used actually but not much wear. The thread dial indicator fits onto the pin sticking out of the right hand side of the carrige, that threading dial in in your second box of stuff. There is a bed way clamp in one of the first boxes of stuff with a square headed screw with it. That goes into the vertical hole that's empty in the top right side of the carriage.

Your main task now is to clean all the chips out of the various places in the lathe. You probably will need to slide the headstock off for this, held on with two bolts from underneath. I doubt you will find it advantageous to have this bed redone, it probably will do all you want as-is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont know what the chucks are just yet. Im short on time right now so I can't get started checking this thing out/ cleaning rebuilding it.

I might have questions throughout the process. I'm going to tear it down completely and clean it up real nice. Going to rebuild it, paint it, and just start using it. Soon.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CVRIV View Post
    I dont know what the chucks are just yet. Im short on time right now so I can't get started checking this thing out/ cleaning rebuilding it.

I might have questions throughout the process. I'm going to tear it down completely and clean it up real nice. Going to rebuild it, paint it, and just start using it. Soon.
    If not already mentioned, get the rebuild kit and manual from Ilion Industries from ebay. It will help guide you through your cleaning/rebuild process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Before you start to use it swap that 40 tooth stud gear with the one (20 tooth) that is parked on the screw beside the 56 tooth. Check you thread chart for arrangement. I doubt you will be threading such a low number treads anytime soon.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. The ways don't look like they have much wear at all. I'd still do the tear down and rebuild. It'll put it back in like-new condition, and you will learn a LOT in the process, not just about the lathe, but it will give you time to do more research on setup and running the lathe. Great find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am impressed with all the stuff you got with the lathe, well done enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the headstock spindle turns freely, I suggest you don't take any of it apart until later in life. Just keep the oil cups full of oil. At least wait until you learn more about the lathe before tearing down the headstock. Ken.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice! You got a good deal it looks like. The ways don't look too bad, they are obviously used but you can tell they were cared for and not abused. Same for the lead screw. When I got my 9A that was all I was looking at -- the ways and the lead screw. And I can hit my numbers no problem. I bet you can hit a thou easy with yours, once you get it all set up and dialed in.

I've had mine almost a year now, and still getting to know it in some ways. So take your time and find some scrap mild steel or something and see what it likes. Make sure it stays drenched in oil

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lathe came with the rebuild kit and guide. Im all ready to go. Im going to do a complete tear down, clean, paint and rebuild.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do I remove the signage?
    0222210333-2.jpg

There are only 3 holes inside the bed for someone to possibly tap out the rivets.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

0222210718a.jpg0222210612.jpg0222210611a.jpg0222210611.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do I remove the signage?

There are only 3 holes inside the bed for someone to possibly tap out the rivets.
    They are called "drive screws". There should be a hole in the back for each one, but there doesn't have to be. People have removed them in the past by taking a Dremel tool and cutting a slot in the head, then just turning them out with a screwdriver.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you cant get at the back of the screws, (likely) use a sharpened very small flat head screwdriver. Tap under the tag around the screw and gently wiggle. Take your time, and the screw should loosen and come out without deforming the tag too much.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got them out. I used a small drilbit to tap them out from the inside. One of the little screws didnt have a hole so I carefully pryed it out.
    Last edited by CVRIV; 02-23-2021 at 03:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see much of a ridge on the ways. They are in good condition. Lathe is probably good to above average condition to most that are available.
    You have a lot of things with it you will not have to purchase. Learn to use what you have.
    I would have told to you leave the head stock on the lathe bed but you already moved it.
    Get a tooth brush or stiff polymer brush and remove the gunk from the gears as they are in place to see how they turn once cleaned. Don't remove them. You should be able to turn them by hand to see how they mesh. They look very clean to begin with.
    You have the threading dial, a nice option for the lathe. Don't really want to hunt one down but it will be very helpful when threading.
    Clean the gunk out of the lead screw. You will be able to see wear on it a little better. Wear will be on the flanks. Measure tooth thickness by the end or beginning of the lead screw to get measurements. Then take measurements ever 1 to 2 inches to get an idea of lead screw wear. Probably not much. Your half nuts will have more wear.
    Make sure to check the inside of the tail stock and see how scored up it is. Don't want to see a bunch of concentric rings or heavy gouges.
    Overall a great starter lathe with most everything you need.
    Worth is value to the owner and to some extent where you live.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why should I not remove the gears? I want to do a complete tear down. I am aware that everything has to be aligned when put back together. I'm probably going to do it anyways because I'm stubborn. Stuff like this is my strength. Thanks for the tips on checking for wear. I will do what you mentioned.

The ways look great. No grooves or ridges. I did the straight-edge with a light trick to see if the ways dipped towards the cetlnter where the carraiage rides the most and there was nothing. It was so luttle that I cant even consider it be be anything.i dont get it. I thought there would be more. I'll keep checking everything else as I continue cleaning.

How much paint do you think I need to coat this machine? A quart at minimum? Might just get a gallon of sokething and paint multiple coats. Not going to ask what what because I found old threads here whwre it seems that everyone has their opinions on which to use.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, ive used lathes way back in the day. I'm very familiar with them. I only have to reacquaint myself with this machine. I can't wait to get started cutting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like

Why should I not remove the gears? I want to do a complete tear down. I am aware that everything has to be aligned when put back together. I'm probably going to do it anyways because I'm stubborn. Stuff like this is my strength. Thanks for the tips on checking for wear. I will do what you mentioned.

The ways look great. No grooves or ridges. I did the straight-edge with a light trick to see if the ways dipped towards the cetlnter where the carraiage rides the most and there was nothing. It was so luttle that I cant even consider it be be anything.i dont get it. I thought there would be more. I'll keep checking everything else as I continue cleaning.

How much paint do you think I need to coat this machine? A quart at minimum? Might just get a gallon of sokething and paint multiple coats. Not going to ask what what because I found old threads here whwre it seems that everyone has their opinions on which to use.
    You'll want to take the gears apart, IMHO, because there's likely other crap up in there that you're going to want to clean out. Plus, there should be at least one gear that will need some new oiling felt.

As far as paint, I have JUST gone through a quart of paint, and the only thing I have left to paint is the headstock. So of course, I have to buy another quart. LOL.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol. So I bought a gallon of an oil enamel paint and a hardener as well. So I'm good with paint.

Ive been dismantling everything do to the smallest parts. This machine is amazing. I just got done dismantling the tail stock completely. I found some missing tail stock stuff inbmy boxes of stuff, so the tail stock in cleaned and complete. Ready for a final wiping and paint.

Its amazing how smooth all these moving parts are despite not having any bearings. How did they or do they get these surfaces so perfectly smooth for such a smooth fit?

Dismantling everything down to the smallest parts has me finding all the oil locations. How often do I have to oil these locations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was saying leave the gears in place and see how it turns after you remove the initial gunk. Just a check so you can gauge what it is like. This was my meaning. I understand you will be ripping everything apart anyway.
    Listen to all, listen to none. Advise is just an opinion and nothing more.
    Your machine is in very good condition. You should not have any problems