What's new
What's new

Info on 9L model?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
I'm looking for info on the 9L. One for sale, wondering if it might be worth the 3 hour drive to look at it. Been looking for a larger spindle bore to complement my 9A, no luck with 10L's or 13's in my neck of the woods. Almost settled on a '80's Taiwanese Jet- but decided to keep looking for a bit longer.

This one is equipped with factory riser blocks to 12" swing (so, a plus over the 10L). Advertised, as tight and accurate.

https://images.craigslist.org/00T0T_6XgFfH5F2Aw_1200x900.jpg

Aside from the obvious concerns over bed/gears/half-nut wear I'd have on any used machine wondering if additional concern is warranted with

single tumbler gearbox- I've read they're more problematic/subject to wear than double tumblers?
Headstock construction- type of bearings? lubrication?

When was this lathe produced?

I know anything can be "made", but given that parts are likely not interchangeable with any other SB, and these are soooo uncommon- getting any replacement parts will be unobtainium.

Which is why, much as I might be tempted to check it out, I'm thinking this might not be a great choice for a working shop lathe. Anyone care to talk me into it?

Actually a great little machine. Sort of like a vest pocket 10L but then yours has the
riser blocks. Never seen those on a heavy 9. The one you show has a non-standard
base (probably orignally was set up like mine with legs on the right side.

Attachments

• jrr_H9.jpg
    jrr_H9.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 83
Nice looking machine, large dial was a modification?

It's exactly what I'm looking for...but knowing that I won't be able to source any parts is a big deal to me given that i can't fully evaluate (without a partial teardown, which can't be done pre-purchase) it's condition.

Thanks for the replies. I'll update if i decide to go take a look at it.

most all the parts are same as 10L...excepting the obvious castings.

biggest challenge is steady/follow rests, but that isn't really a big deal either.

Back