What's new
What's new

Installing a taper attachment, but when it's not in use...?

kd1yt

Cast Iron
Please excuse what.ay seem like a silly question for those for.whom this is something you already know. I bought a nice clean SB10K gap bed lathe (but it's one of the early variations of the gap bed model that has an ordinary saddle and apron same as all of the non-gap models) that does not have a taper attachment. I'd like to get and install the taper attachment. Can you please tell me what one can/ should do when not actually using the taper attachment- in other words, how much of the taper assembly could/should be dismounted and stowed away so that you don't have to unclamp and move the bed clamp part of the taper attachment when you are going to work at different distances from the headstock? Thanks!

Please excuse what.ay seem like a silly question for those for.whom this is something you already know. I bought a nice clean SB10K gap bed lathe (but it's one of the early variations of the gap bed model that has an ordinary saddle and apron same as all of the non-gap models) that does not have a taper attachment. I'd like to get and install the taper attachment. Can you please tell me what one can/ should do when not actually using the taper attachment- in other words, how much of the taper assembly could/should be dismounted and stowed away so that you don't have to unclamp and move the bed clamp part of the taper attachment when you are going to work at different distances from the headstock? Thanks!

Why would you have the bed anchor connected if you are not using the taper? Disconnect it from the taper (one nut) and shove it down to the end of the bed for storage. Just loosen the handle that connects the crossfeed. Good luck finding all the bits, you may be better off selling yours and finding one with a taper.

You don't have to remove the bed clamp at all. If you're working with a long workpiece and the bed clamp looks like it will fall off the end of the bed, just slide the taper attachment to the left (toward the headstock) and you're home free. I have a 10K and have never had a problem like you describe.

Thanks for the responses- I just haven't seen or run this arrangement- my LeBlond's taper attachment mounts on a separate dovetail rail behind/under the back of the bed, and is completely unhooked from everything except when in actual use

I kinda do like Blob said, except I just let bed clamp 'hang out in the air' when it falls off the tailstock end of the bed. It just stays at the same level and doesn't droop. In fact, the bed clamp on mine rides just out of contact with the bed anyway. It is snug enough to maintain position. When needed, I just tweek it down to ride on the bedways. It only takes a few thou. of movement.

With mine, I simply removed the screw which connects to the clamp, and set it in the collet tray: the rest of the taper setup simply rides with the saddle, and I leave the crossfeed handle loose on the taper slide. My only problem has been that the taper adapter setup does hit the motor when I take the saddle all the way in towards the chuck, but I am able to compensate...
Scott

Back