What's new
What's new

interchangeability of 11" and 10" parts?

I use a 13" lathe micrometer stop on my 11", it needs a pad inder the bottom bracket that holds it on. If I find another one, I'll make a permenant modification to one of them. I think the 10" mike stop would be too "short" to reach the pad on the 11" carraige.

I also have attached the 10" threading dial to the carriage of my 11", I don't remember making any modifications at all.

The big boring tool holder for the 10" machine will do nicely on the 11" if you put a 2 5/8" dia by 1/4" thick disc between the top holder and the base. I secured mine together with a pressed-in bronze bushing. You don't have to mod. the base, the tool post slot is the same on the 10" and the 11".

I have a suspicion that the 10" taper attachement can be made to fit the 11". I haven't messed with that because I have too many taper attachements as it is.

My lathe already has a steady rest, but if it didn't I would not hesitate to mod. one from the 10". The 13" steady is way too big.

Thanks. My thought was that maybe everything above the bed/ways would not be swap-able because of the height differences, but maybe that parts below the bed would be interchangeable (apron, gearbox, etc.). What do you think? It seems like they could have saved on production costs by doing this.

Also, is the width of the ways on a 10" and 13" the same? In other words, would say a tailstock from a 10" fit correctly on the ways of a 13"?(I know height would be wrong)

Nope.

The heavy ten is a distictly different animal.

All of the end gears and the gearbox and apron parts are unigue to the ten. The ten also has a significantly lighter bed.

It is the 11 and the 13 that are too close together. There are some castings with 11-13 numbers cast into them. They are mostly in the overhead drive conversion kit that fits both lathes.

The last run of the 11 inch machine had the modern double wall apron of the exact design of all the latest South Bend machines. They had kept up with the 11's patterning right up until 1936.

South Bend needed to do something about their small lathes and the 11 would have been a good candidate except for the heavy bed.

The so called Heavy Ten was the answer. Not much larger in overall size than the 9 inch but a full fledged industrial model South Bend Lathe.

The 11 was too close to the 13 and it had to go.

I like the 11" SB a lot and I wish that SB didn't axe the model but I see what they were driving at. The 11 is a good small lathe but it is too big to stash in a small space. The heavy ten fits in where a Hardinge, Elgin or Wade will fit.

In those days the Hardinges, Elgins and Wades werent the hot numbers that they became. The South Bend 10 inch was a really really good small lathe at a price that s shop could not afford being without one.

The 10 inch didn't start out with the 5C collet, but the writing was on the wall. If that lathe was to sell in tool and instrument shops, it had better take the 5C and so it did.

Maybe South Bend has ESP. the Heavy Ten came out just before the war. Uncle Sam loved the machine and the lathe ended up everywhere. The 11" was just too big to be hauled around like that.

Back