What's new
What's new

Interesting 13"

Kevin T

Stainless
I have only been around for a few years here but this is the first South Bend I have seen with an extra screw. What feature does this provide? I see the sharp angle on the acme to the left of the boss so a fast response for ?

Do any of you guys have this on your lathes?

southbend 13” Lathe | eBay

SB13 extra screw.jpg

SB13 extra screw1.jpg

SB13 extra screw2.jpg

SB13 extra screw3.jpg

I've seen it on other lathes but not on a SB. Please excuse if this is common knowledge that SB added this to some of the lathes.

Pretty sure its a stop to kick either the leadscrew or apron out of gear when you bump into the stop. The thing with the square head bolt can slide on, and lock on shaft where ever you want the stop to activate.

Pretty sure its a stop to kick either the leadscrew or apron out of gear when you bump into the stop. The thing with the square head bolt can slide on, and lock on shaft where ever you want the stop to activate.

I would welcome that feature on my machine!

I would welcome that feature on my machine!

Not South Bend, but I know you like threading. For threading options, something called "leadscrew reverse" is said to be real handy. And this reminds me of the pics you posted:

Some Monarchs, usually "toolroom" labeled lathes, have what is called a "lead screw reverse". This has fwd, neutral, and rev. Similar sliding dogs can be adjusted for what travel you want. No matter which direction, when apron bumps the dog in its corresponding direction. . .it pops the lever into neutral:

399.jpg

A 10ee can also have, but called ELSR, electric lead screw reverse, Instead of mechanically, it stops electrically. That's because, as designed, the 10ee motor is DC electric. It does not run all the time like AC powered lathes. Spindle stops, and DC power stop after each pass.

PM member everettengr was demonstrating the DC drive system on a youtube vid. Check how quiet, but also how fast spindle stops:
Monarch 10EE RETROFIT DC Drive Using Parker/Eurotherm 514C & 507 Material Removal Test Cuts - YouTube

In a 2nd vid, he demonstrates the ELSR starting about 30 seconds into the vid:
Monarch 10EE Controls Using Parker/Eurotherm 514C & 507 - YouTube

His thread on the drive system:
Parker/Eurotherm 514C/507 4Q SSD DC Retrofit into 1961 10EE Modular

I would grab that machine if I lived within a days drive! and I don't even need it!

Your terminology is a bit confusing so I have to assume your meaning the extra lowest mounted horizontal shaft. It's a bit hard to say with 100% confidence, but what your thinking are ACME threads sure appear to be spring coils to me and not threads if you blow the pictures up to there maximum size. They might be part of the adjustment or to protect the machine components if the kick out were to fail to disengage the feed for any reason. As Texasgunsmith already said, it's a kick out for the half nuts if were all talking about the same thing. Strangely the power longitudinal and cross feeds aren't driven with a separate feed shaft, so there powered by either the lead screw threads or a keyway cut into the length of the lead screw. Either way that feed kick out would sure be nice if it were designed into every lathe imo.

it's a kick out for the half nuts if were all talking about the same thing.

There may be something to knock the half nuts out, I can't tell. But that lever mechanism and shield near qcgb make think this does not use a normal main lead screw. Like maybe there's an engage/disengage coupling under that shield.

Normal lead screw enters qcgb, and has a gear attached inside qcgb. My guess is a short shaft coming out of qcgb instead, and main leadscrew has that coupling, or a clutch maybe.

Been quite a while, but I seem to recall having read a thread that mentioned these once. I bet there's literature somewhere, Steve Wells site or VM maybe. Maybe SBLatheman knows.

Steve Well's site. Under catalogs, page 4., 1949 Attachments & Accessories Catalog.

Here's page 4 of catalogs:
The SBL Workshop - Catalog Index

The pdf of 1949 Attachments & Accessories Catalog, Page 7 of the pdf. Not a lot of details, but its here:
http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1949_Catalogue_77-U/1949_Catalogue_77-U.pdf

Pretty much the same in this 1951 attachments catalog, Page 10:
http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1951-cat-5102.pdf

400.jpg

Steve's donation page to help float that boat, years of gathered data, and of course the serial data base:
Donation to the SBL Workshop

Steve Well's site. Under catalogs, page 4., 1949 Attachments & Accessories Catalog.

Here's page 4 of catalogs:
The SBL Workshop - Catalog Index

The pdf of 1949 Attachments & Accessories Catalog, Page 7 of the pdf. Not a lot of details, but its here:
http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1949_Catalogue_77-U/1949_Catalogue_77-U.pdf

Pretty much the same in this 1951 attachments catalog, Page 10:
http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1951-cat-5102.pdf

View attachment 338925

Steve's donation page to help float that boat, years of gathered data, and of course the serial data base:
Donation to the SBL Workshop

Good Find. I scanned my 100-B catalog but didn't see it. First one I've seen, super cool. Too bad it would cost me 5K to ship here. One of you guys should grab that thing it looks good!

Your terminology is a bit confusing so I have to assume your meaning the extra lowest mounted horizontal shaft.

I didn't know what to call it. After further review it would not spin! lol

Looks like it activates some kind of clutch on the leadscrew? I see the features like this on all the lathes that people hold in high regard and am glad that it was a thought for SB.

I'd have to assume it wasn't very effective with such minimal popularity. I can't say I have ever seen this before on any SBL.

Hey Guys,

I ended up purchasing this lathe and my ultimate plan is to remove the feed stop system and try to install on my later model 13. I believe the rod below the apron moves left or right to disengage a clutch mechanism between the QCGB and the leadscrew. Therefore it can be used to stop both threading and feeding. I will post pictures when I get the lathe and have to check the operation.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Back