What's new
What's new

interesting 9"

bob308

Hot Rolled
was at my brothers place today. saw he had a nice 9" southbend with quick change. bench top model. he saved it from the scrap yard for $100. got tooling with it too. it is a 3.5' gap bed.

If it truly is a gap bed, then that gap was created by removing material from the bed and a 9" isn't a testament to rigidity in the first place.

South Bend only made the 9" in the 4 1/2' length that I am aware of. It was designed as a gap bed, beefed up in the area where the insert was removed
Ted

we need pics!
like Ted mentioned i have only seen the 10K gap beds and they are all 4.5" beds
in the depression era SB made all kinds of strange stuff - it seems at one time they would make it however you wanted it.

South Bend only made the 9" in the 4 1/2' length that I am aware of. It was designed as a gap bed, beefed up in the area where the insert was removed
Ted

South Bend made gap bed lathes, they are a choice piece because there are not many of them around. Like you said your brother saved it from the scrap man. You have a special lathe. Go to the South Bend Group in Yahoo, you need to register: [email protected] There are a couple guys that really know there lathes. Steve Wells, Jim B and ED know lots and will tell you everything about that lathe.
Nelson Collar

Back