What's new
What's new

CL145B South Bend 13 x 60 - Newbee

porsche_v8

Aluminum
Hello,

I just picked up my first South Bend 13 x 60 today and have some newbee questions.

Where can I get a manual?

Where can I get parts?

Is there a guide or book to rebuilding these machines?

Stamped on bed:

TEX33
MDTA
MANPOWER
DDB200T
----------------
9432TKX14

Thanks!

12.jpg

Manpower was a program to train people for jobs in machine shops among other things... people that had little chance of finding a decent job otherwise. I believe it started under Lyndon Johnson. There were only two in the country, Detroit and Fort Worth. As you might guess, alot of the Ft. Worth machine shop grads went to General Dynamics and the other aerospace plants in the area .. LTV, Bell Heleclaptor, etc. (I spent 5 years working for Generous Disgusting (GD) myself.)
THe fort worth facility was located in the old Trimble Tech High School just east of Harris Hospital.
How do I know this trivia? My mother wrote some of the manuals on how to run the program, and taught shop math and english as a second language for many years. At the ripe old age of about 12-13 years old, I was the "Teacher's Assistant" in the ESL classes. Lots of asians, a few hispanics, and some people that used english as a primary language but not very well.. remedial english.

They had a bang-up machine shop in the basement.

I've got a SB13 that's prob. a little older than yours. Get or download "how to run a lathe" - lots of info on taking care of the machine, exploded views w/ parts numbers, etc etc.
You can buy a copy for cheap from lindsaybooks.com.

Take it for what it's worth, the first thing I would do is pull the spindle, make sure the felt wipers are still good, replace if not, and clean the old oil/gunk/etc. out of the headstock and put in fresh lube.
There's a trick to putting the felts back in, it's covered in HTRAL.

Rudd

Back