What's new
What's new

interesting south bend with V belt drive

This comes up around here fairly often. SB did make them, but the literature generally sounds like they were putting them down. I don't have anything handy, but the descriptions in the sales literature were along the lines of "...and for idiots that don't fully comprehend and appreciate the excellence of flat belts, SB now offers a V belt model with extended range of speeds..."

Lathe you linked to is a 9", notice how the headstock is made, the typical tin "guards" on it, and the style of tumbler lever. They also made them in 10K, which is a different looking headstock, cast, flip-open top guard, and the tumbler lever has a round knurled ferrule on it to operate the spring loaded pin that holds it in F-N-or-R detent holes. I have one (V-belt 10K) from ca. 1963 or so. Not sure when they started with the V-belts; Paula surely knows.

smt

The earliest that I'm aware that the V-belt spindle drive was available is 1936. Could have been before that, but I've seen no evidence for it. Here is a picture of one from a 1936 catalog:

V-BELT9.jpg

Stephen is right about SB "talking down" the V-belt option in certain instances. One catlog I have (not sure of the date -- probably mid-fifties or so) puts it like this:

"This drive is recommended to those who prefer a V-belt drive to the smoother operating and more easily replaced flat belt drive. The headstock and countershaft of this lathe must be disassembled to replace the cone pulley V-belt."

Not exactly a resounding endorsement, but people these days seem to favor them. The pullies alone usually bring a ridiculously high price on eBay.

Paula

Those leather belts are still available from McMaster-Carr, as are their modern-day equivalent, the Fenner "Power-Twist" belts.

A special tool is required for the leather belting; no special tool is required for the Fenner (or for its work alike ... there are red and green versions of the same concept; both are equivalent).

Those leather belts are still available...
I would have thought they were leather too, but the replacement belts listed in that 1936 catalog are described as "...made of high quality durable moulded rubberized cord." They list three different V-belts: (2) endless belts, for the primary drive, and secondary HMD drive, and (1) belt with a "metal coupling" for use with the secondary drive on the UMD lathes.

Paula

Lookie... That lathe in that ebay auction has a door retaining device...
Hmm, I didn't notice that. You're right, it wouldn't work too well if you switch gears around much. As it is, having to unthread that bolt would be enough of a hinderance to lubing the gears, or using the reverse lever. No thanks.

Paula

"I would have thought they were leather too, but the replacement belts listed in that 1936 catalog ..."

My 1945 Monarch came with leather, and I've seen some B&S equipment which had leather, too.

Perhaps leather and rubber were available at one time.

The basic concept, and the tool, are apparently the same, regardless of the belting material.

Certainly, rubber should be less expensive.

When it came time to replace the belt on my Monarch, I replaced it with a 4L belt, as this was just the drive to the motor-generator's exciter, and not the drive to the machine's spindle (which takes a matched set of A-belts).

We had one of these lathes at our local trade school many years ago.
I used the machine a few times and found that it was a darn good SB.
The belt was very much like what the Atlas used, but a little wider, like really old cars.

There is an advantage in the V belt version, which is that they could fit four-speed pullies rather than just three. I'd quite like one personally, but not so much as to spent a lot of money getting it.

Nick

Back