What's new
What's new

I've Made A Terrible Mistake...

Sir if you have the energy you can make that into a lathe like object.
If you have very deep pockets you can restore that to near new perfection . Be forewarned it could cost a multiple of the price of a usable lathe.
In a worst case scenario you have a pile of possible parts. The chucks might get most of the money back.
At the very least you have a chance to satisfy your DIY urges for a long time.

And if I was offered that for $150 I too would have bought it.
In fact I have a heavy 10 that was no where near that bad about 1/2 way to reusable.

Hello arborpress,
It's a kit lathe and also a learning device. Get the appropriate resto book. Take your time and clean the crap off down to bare metal, paint a module at a time, take pictures ... and you will start to see the potential. It's not just a job... it's an adventure !!! Above all, have fun.

Gary

I am restoring one that was left outside for awhile, and it is working out fine. Electrolysis has taken care of most of it. However, I did replace the bed, once the level of wear became apparent. Your bed looks terrible, so I recommend that you do the same. I wonder if Craig Donges has a bed you could buy? The gearbox and the spindle are also areas of concern. The covers and such will clean up fine, as they have no precision sliding surfaces.

allan

With as many SB lathes out there that are relatively cheap, in your region, and a lot closer to useable, I would have gone with something in a bit better shape. If you have time, skill, and $$ I suppose it could be brought back?

The good side, you only invested $150 in it. And putting it back together you will learn some things.

Well, I bought a heavy 10 today for $150 and I'm already starting to have second thoughts. Cheer me up guys...
Is this one too far gone?

The good news is that you can easily double your money by just cleaning up a few of those parts and selling them on eBay. The bad news is that you have a heck of alot of work in your future to bring it back. There is no bringing back that bed imo.

FWIW, look on e-pay, punch "south bend heavy 10" into their search utility and see what you come up with. "Penelopepitstop" (also a member here) parts out a bunch of them and usually has fairly good prices on the larger parts. IIRC, he had listed a bed pretty cheap. I bought a belt side lower cover from him very reasonably recently. (mine was missing from the time I got it a while back)

From the pics the bed looks really bad, but the rest looks like something an electrolysis tank and / or a bead blast cabinet shouldn't have much problem with. For what these things go for and you paid $150, I would expect to have to put a lot of work into. the nice thing is that these things are so commonplace that parts are pretty easy to find. You might also check with Jeff at tools4cheap.com, he also parts a few out from time to time.

Frank

Back