What's new
What's new

"J.F.P." stamped right below the serial number on my 9A bed, what might it mean?

Domodude17

Aluminum
"J.F.P." stamped right below the serial number on my 9A bed, what might it mean?

I have a 9A, serial number 117337 (1941 vintage). Right below the serial number its stamped J.F.P. I looked on wswells.com but the letters I have stamped don't seem to match up with any of the standard lettering.

I have a 9A, serial number 117337 (1941 vintage). Right below the serial number its stamped J.F.P. I looked on wswells.com but the letters I have stamped don't seem to match up with any of the standard lettering.

Hi,
My '41 9C has "LOR" stamped on it. I don't know what it means.
R. G. Sheehan

J.A.N = Joint Army Navy

Indiscriminate initials - indifferently applied - likely a final inspector

Like for Post #1 - we can guess what might have been - John Foster Pressley :D

J.A.N = Joint Army Navy

Yes, thanks. Saw that reference some time ago somewhere in another thread.
Were these "initial" stampings gone by the 1950's or so?
I also have a later 10L (late '60's) and 10K (early '70's) and neither have any initials stamped on the bed.
CWC(4)

Sounds as if you answered you own question.:D Interesting subject - unlikely to have such questions answered in detail I would think.

In a general sense, I would guess there would be more PHYSICAL EVIDENCE of inspection or other markings during the WW2 days since the USA government was buying large batches of machine tools

J.A.N = Joint Army Navy

Yes, thanks. Saw that reference some time ago somewhere in another thread.
Were these "initial" stampings gone by the 1950's or so?
I also have a later 10L (late '60's) and 10K (early '70's) and neither have any initials stamped on the bed.
CWC(4)

Back