What's new
What's new

Just cruisin' along,.. CRAP!! (13"SB Question)

enginebuilder

Stainless
So I'm turning away, all is nice and smooth, everything comes to an instant halt. Loosen belt tension, spindle ok, undo motor drive belts, motor spins nice, the counter shaft is lock up tight as a drum. Take everythign apart ( not a fun job when nothing will spin and let you get to the taper pin and all the set screws). Any way, burs on the shaft locked it to the bracket, dunno why everything was wet with oil. My question is, does anyone know what the to series of grooves machined into the counter shaft are supposed to do? See pic below
Thanks
Jim
countershaft.jpg

Probably oil slingers. Any oil getting to those grooves is supposed to spin off by centrifugal force and go back into a well to get recirculated. Otherwise it would run to the end of the shaft and go wherever it wants to. I'm not familiar with your particular lathe, but I've seen that setup on other machines.
Chaz

Well duh! Why didnt I think of that. That makes perfect sense, otherwise, you are exactly right, all the oil would run down the shaft and end up all over the place including the floor!
Thanks Dullvinci!
JIm

Well, it's all back together and running again. Still not sure what set it all off, but there was something VERY hard stuck in the shaft. Dunno where it came from. I do know that the motor and countershaft drive was the only part of the lathe I didnt take apart when I went thru the machine. Lesson learned. no felt in the oil cup on the side that locked up,must have got something in there some how. Nice new filter felt in there now.
Jim

Back