What's new
What's new

Knurl choices per application

Soloratov

Plastic
I have read thru the various posts on knurling, but I still am left with a question. I need help choosing the proper knurl wheels for my operation. My lathe has a bump style knurl tool, with wheels, but the knurl they produce is more of the tool handle type. I am looking for something deeper, more aggressive. The purpose is for motorcycle footpegs, so I need some traction. I know that investing in the scissor style tool would be helpfull, but is there a specific type of wheel as well? I went to the eagle rock site and just got confused. Oh, all the peg parts I ever make are out of 1.5" dia. aluminum, so that is the preferred application.

Maybe instead of a knurl you could run a tool like you were cutting threads to the right and then to the left that would leave a nice deep cross hatch pattern and you could vary the pitch by the threads per inch. Just a thought...Bob

Yes. I made some small alum shafts and wanted a grip handle. The thread is righty tighty lefty loosely, lefty tighty righty loosely. LOL...Bob

That is actually a very interesting suggestion. I like it, I only wonder if I know how to do it right. I think I'll get some of my junk stock out and try this. Thank you very much for the idea.

A corse full diamond knurl is very aggressive. I used a 32 dp full depth knurl on 2" 6061 aluminum belt rollers in a conveyor application. It was very aggressive and would be ideal for your application. If you cut a full knurl the top of the diamond will form a point.

I was just playing around with some 3/4" alum bar and tried an 8 TPI right/left combo and it was pretty rough, non slip to say the least. On larger dia like 1 1/2" alum 4 or 6 TPI would be pretty sweet for footpegs...Bob

Back