What's new
What's new

Last of the tooling for my Heavy 10 for sale

ber778

Aluminum
The last two items that I have on hand that were for my Heavy 10 are available:

1. South Bend Original telescopic steady rest. Excellent condition. $300

SR 1.jpg SR2.jpg SR3.jpg SR4.jpg

This was original to my 1968 lathe and was disassembled, stripped via electrolysis, primed and painted with Sherwin Williams Alkyd paint. The bare metal knobs, nuts and bolts were treated with KG GunKote (baked on super thin coating used on internal and external parts of firearms).

2. Forged steel Buck-Forkardt 6" six-jaw Adjust-Tru chuck with removable jaws. Model 6AT+. $400

chuck 1.jpg

Just before buying the Clausing, I purchased this chuck which did not come with a back plate or wrench. My new lathe came with an 8" six-jaw chuck (L00) so I don't need this one. Not having the ability to mount this, I don't know much about it other than the outward appearance which appears to be in good used condition (see pictures). It looks like the previous owner was in the dry-lube camp as far as chuck scroll lubrication. I did contact Buck and confirmed that currently available back plates for the ATSC chucks fit this older model.

3. Headstock shims for Heavy 10. $35. Die cut laminated brass shims (see pictures below)
Got these on from this guy on eBay a while back 'just in case' http://www.ebay.com/itm/281302683877
Includes 2 front and 2 read laminated shims.

Checks or Postal MO preferred. Both of these items will fit in large flat-rate boxes and will ship USPS for the actual cost of shipping + insurance.

Trades are welcome for Clausing 5900 accessories and tooling. (collet closer, steady rest, taper, carriage stop etc.)

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:
I was wondering what using these shims accomplishes or corrects? I just bought a heavy 10 last week so I am not 100% familiar with the machine yet.

The shims are for the bearings in your headstock. They are what provides the proper clearance between the spindle and the bearings in the headstock. The reason why the clearance is important is because the heavy 10 and other SB lathes have "plain" bearings (no balls or rollers) Either machined cast iron for the bearing or a bronze sleeve for later models. The clearance will allow the proper amount of spindle oil to flow around with the spindle and separate the spindle from the bearing surface, making a sort of liquid bearing with the oil, which is very effective, as long as it is shimmed properly and oiled with the correct oil. Too little clearance will cause over heating, seizing and bearing surface damage, too much clearance will result in inaccuracies of the spindle, and also possible damage to the bearings if it is excessive enough.

See this link and download "keep your lathe in trim" to learn how to check if your spindle needs reshimming or not....I would suggest to be sure that you NEED to tear into it before you go thinking that it might just be a good idea....South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - Keep Your Lathe in Trim -- SB Bulletin H-4 | VintageMachinery.org

Maybe that's too much info, but it can't hurt I guess.

Back