What's new
What's new

Lathe cover?

Ronniet

Aluminum
Anyone using a canvas or tarp to cover thier lathe when not in use?
I am looking for something that may be used other than a regular tarp?
Ron

I use one of those fuzzy backed plastic / vynil tablecloths. Have stolen one each for the mill and shaper too.
Wifey isn't too pleased but she got over it.......................

Right now, I'm using leftover sheets from the kid's twin beds - they moved out years ago, but the sheets were still hiding in the closet. Wife says they are always available in white for about $ 10 per each, so I'll stick with sheets

i use the fitted bed sheet from a twin bed. since it is fitted the elastic will hold around the lip of the sheet metal cabinet of my 10l just fine. works for what it needs to do, nothing more and nothing less

I threw my motorcycle cover over my Logan 200 awhile back, it fit pretty well with the wider handlebar part over the headstock!

Fabric paint drop clothes work great and are cheap - e.g., Lowes, Home Depot et al.

I buy wool blankets to cover my Machinery, $10 from Harbor freight. it seems to keep out the moisture better than anything I found. This means less surface rust Over the winter. I also Spray Marvel mystery Oil On all unpainted surfaces of my machinery. The Thinning agent will dry leaving a thick layer On the surface. It may take a couple of coats. I find it easier to clean off than Surface rust.

There is a company called HTC that manufactures machine covers. They come in different sizes. Here are some features listed:

* Large Machine Cover protects against rust, harmful moisture, dust, and other workshop elements
* Made of rugged cotton sheeting with a special plastisol
* Fabric roll-hemmed around the entire perimeter
* Rubberized magnet sewn to each corner
* Roll hem with rubberized magnets on each corner

You can buy those through amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=htc+machine+covers

I use shower curtain liners. A good size, and durable fabric. might be polyester. (NOT the plastic type!)

My wife changes them like she changes tooth brushes. The down side is that they are white, and show the oil stains in high contrast.

I have been using the same green beach towel on my 9" South Bend for the last 10 years. No rust yet and it gets to around freezing in my garage during the hard part of the winter. I just oil my machine when I get done with it or don't clean it at all and leave the oil on it, helps protect the ways and such from rusting. Spray the towel lightly with wd-40 and cover the machine.

I don't really cover mine in anything other than chips and WD-40. ;)

My lathe sits in my garage and goes thru temp changes all the time. and it does not rust. My dad was just the other day saying he does everything possible to keep his nice and still gets some rust once in awhile, and all I do is just let it sit around unheated. His shop has heat in it all winter long @around 50 degrees. And my dad covers his mill and lathe with old bed sheets too.

I do cover my antique engines with blankets.

This (barbecue?) cover in pic I dragged from neighbors moving-away trash pile. Says 'Brinkman' on it which I think is a BBQ grill. Fits perfectly over this F.E. Reed lathe, at least until I mount the counter shaft. Cover has ventilation strips too.

Attachments

• DSC_9626_ClrBal_sml.jpg
    DSC_9626_ClrBal_sml.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,499
  • DSC_9627_ClrBal_sml.jpg
    DSC_9627_ClrBal_sml.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 891
I used a piece of corduroy cloth leftover from a Halloween costume for years. Now I have a full length leather coat that came from a yard sale for $2. I always worried about the cloth catching fire from welding or grinding. Someday I'll trim the sleeves off and use them for something else.

Nope, We still get down pours but hardly any trees grows in this area. My lathe is inside just now moved to another building that is cleaner to work in and am in the process of totally tearing it down , cleaning it up and redoing all the wicking again.
I have been covering it with a cheap camouflage tarp, plastic, but am in love with it again and want something better,
All your suggestions are good, but I am choosing either the flannel fitted sheet or the wool cover.
Its deserves it,
Mine hardly ever rusts anywhere just the exposed bare metal parts where my hands ever touch get discolored to a dark color.
I like Machinery grey paint or Polished steel.
Thanks for all the input,
Ron

Back