What's new
What's new

Lathe Fell Over Brainstorming

Wjw159

Plastic
Guys,

I was moving houses and was all set up to move my SBL 9A. Everything was going fine until the moment it wasn't and the lathe fell onto its front. The cross feed screw took the brunt of the impact bending the portion that goes through the dial and handle. The tailstock locking clamp broke as well as the housing for the light bulb. One of the drawer runners was already messed up a bit and bent further.

To me the biggest issue is the cross slide screw. Looking on eBay there could be an entire cross slide for $150 plus shipping. Most of what I see is not for model A units. '

I also see people talking about rebuilt kits for the acme screw where you get a commercial section of all thread and somehow graft it onto the existing stem you already have. I am thinking of doing the opposite where I cut off the gear and acme section of the screw, drill it out for a new stem that I remake, press into the hole in the gear and maybe pin it.

A big issue I have is order of operations for making parts on a broken lathe. I need a tail stock clamp to be able to drill and center support the new part. By happenstance I bought a drill/mill at auction that I am getting Friday. That should be able to get something cobbled for the clamp.

Then I still need to turn a new part. I am thinking to use the compound turned to 90 deg and locking the cross slide with the gibs.

What do you guys think of my what my plan seems to be and do you have any other brilliant ideas for me to think about?

Will
20201214_202626.jpgScreenshot 2020-12-15 085145.jpg
20201214_202633.jpg

I think you got off easy. You'll need to source or fabricate another feed screw bushing. Your idea of grafting a new front section onto the feed screw is good I think. What condition are the dial and handle in?

Dial and handle surprisingly seemed okay. I think they popped off from the axial force of the shaft bending. I haven't been able to find where the nut popped off to yet though

Dial and handle surprisingly seemed okay. I think they popped off from the axial force of the shaft bending. I haven't been able to find where the nut popped off to yet though

That sucks, I hate to see lathes face plant, hope you can fixer up..

If you want to use the broke lathe to make parts, I'd chop short shaft before the gear on crossfeed as you suggest. Drill and tap into the gear. Use a bolt, washer, spacer or whatever in place of the dial, until dial side is made. Tap in a way the bolt will bottom out. Tighten gib during your cut to hold position, depending on what end thrust you have.

Make thread size smaller than shaft diameter. New shaft can be threaded with a shoulder. Screwed and loctite in. Threads need to be centered real well though. Might final turn while screwed into gear.

Unclear what is broke on tailstock. Bed clamp ? Or quill locking lever ? If bed clamp or it bolt, i would think a flat plate with hole drilled in it, nut and bolt going through. . . If quill lock, can you run a regular bolt down to lock it ?

It was the bed clamp that broke so it shouldn't be the end of the world for that.

I love the idea of tapping the hole in the gear and having a temporary shaft plus then turning that into a permanent solution. I was concerned if id be able to hit the dimensions well enough to make a press fit work. Either way I was planning to leave the part big, assemble, and then true up to final dimension after. I might even turn between centers if it looks appropriate.

If you can't get it threaded or tight for a press fit, you could always have a looser fit and use some loctite. Then just head it when it's time to take it apart.

I think the deal here is:

1) remove the existing bushing and crossfeed screw from the machine.

2) lock the cross slide using the gib screws, and pivot the compound so it's feeding straight in.

3) use this setup to manufacture the new bushing and the piece that will replace the front of the bent feed screw.

4) silver solder or cross-pin the replacement on.

Obviously you'll need the tailstock for this.

If loctite: green type, you *must* have clearance for this, and drill a tiny cross vent hole at the bottom of the bore.

Yeah, I hate seeing that face-plant too. I agree with Jim that you probably got off easy (lucky).
Nice-looking rig by the way.

PMc

was this a large dial lathe or a small dial lathe. From the pic, I'm guessing a small dial, but it's hard to tell.

As for the drawer slides, I have a loopy leg cabinet model. The drawers and slides look to be the same. I had a badly damaged slide on my top drawer, seeing as the machine came out of my old high school. HS boys are hard on stuff. I found some real nice ball bearing full extension drawer slides at McMaster-Carr. They were not particularly expensive. With some careful measuring and a little creative fitting, I have a really slick top drawer function. It was a bunch of years back, I don't recall exactly how I had to fit it. I think it took some spacer washers and maybe some bolt holes had to be drilled. I don't remember it being very difficult. Better than new in about one evening.

Like some one said go to ebay look up this guy STEDEA_71 I tipped mine over moving it this summer really screwed shit up this guy built a new compound thread and a cross feed threads he can make nuts he’s one hell of a machinist and his price is a great look him up on eBay tell him BbqBob sent you this info it is a 30 min job to fix your screw up

Back