What's new
What's new

Lathe that followed me home...

oldford

Plastic
I just brought home a small bench mount SB lathe that I'm interested in knowing what I have. I bought it for $200 and it is working and in great condition as far as I can see. I had to disassemble it to get it home. Serial #180136; Cat #677Y; Model #B9; Bed 3. Not sure what all that is, but is this a 9" lathe? I need to clean all the chips from the beast so no photos yet, but it looks just like this one below, except there is no quick change box (and no gears). I've seen the gears available, but can a QC box be added? Thanks for the info...

Frank

Forgot to add, got the collet chuck w/collets, extra tool bits, many parts, 3jaw, 4jaw, etc....

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 764
Yes, it's a 9" model B, power feed apron, change gears. Overall bed length is 3 feet, built late 1946. Does it have a V-pulley headstock?

You can add a QC box, but certainly not a slam dunk.

Paul

It has a flat belt headstock. Where can I find the parts necessary to add the QC Box? I found a box on ebay, but the ad says it's for a 10". Can you explain the "slam dunk" statement. I suppose I could live with the change gears, if I found them, but my 11" logan has the QC box and i like it...

Frank

Yes, it is gorgeous - but that's not the lathe he brought home. The lathe in the picture is Paula's 9a that she refurbished.

If I take a photo now, you'll see a pile of parts. The lathe I bought is covered with chips and oil. It was being used by an older machinist and was not touched in the last 10 years or so... I'll post a photo when cleaned and assembled. After looking at the cost and the effort, I think I agree with Rex TX, I'll source the gears...

Frank

Converting a B model to an A model actually reduces its capabilitys.The B model will cut 27 pitch threads as is, an A will not.The B model has room for carriage stops all the way up to the headstock.The A does not.Also there were many interesting gears made for the change gear lathes.I have a 116 tooth turning gear, probably made for the C model, that I can use on my B model.It makes a really fine finish.

It has a flat belt headstock. Where can I find the parts necessary to add the QC Box? I found a box on ebay, but the ad says it's for a 10". Can you explain the "slam dunk" statement. I suppose I could live with the change gears, if I found them, but my 11" logan has the QC box and i like it...

Frank
"slam dunk" can be done but not that easy.

Yes, it is gorgeous - but that's not the lathe he brought home. The lathe in the picture is Paula's 9a that she refurbished.

I am confused as to why someone would post a picture of another person's lathe while claiming to have scored a great deal????

Anyway, $200 sounds like a score, but posting an irrelevant picture sort of negates that...

Meaningless post in my opinion.

Converting a B model to an A model actually reduces its capabilitys.The B model will cut 27 pitch threads as is, an A will not.The B model has room for carriage stops all the way up to the headstock.The A does not.Also there were many interesting gears made for the change gear lathes.I have a 116 tooth turning gear, probably made for the C model, that I can use on my B model.It makes a really fine finish.

The B model will only cut a 27 TPI thread pitch if you use the right change gears. Guess what, the A model will cut 27 TPI thread pitch if you use the right change gears. Basically the same effort goes into both. And of course the model A and B will cut most any threads you may need. It's all in having the correct gears.

When i posted that photo of the lathe, i was not sure the lathe was a B9 model. I found that photo and recognized it as the same as the one I purchased. If you find my post meaningless, don't read it. Thank you for such a nice welcome to the forum....

Frank

At the price you paid for that lathe the gear box upgrade would likely be worth the effort and cost.
My first lathe was a change gear and I learned and did some nice work with it. However the more I
used it I equated it with having a car that I needed to pull over on the side of the road and take apart
the transmission to change the gears for the highway, then reverse the process when I got off the highway.
The next lathe with a gear box was huge improvement.

Why is it that when a new person does something one person doesn't like he gets belittled. Then other people jump on the band wagon. It just doesn't make sense to me but it seems like PM is noted for that.

Paul

Prolly get band for this post oh well so be it.

The original poster doesn't have the experience here to know that, once given the cat # and model #, the picture was unnecessary. And he did state that "it looks just like this one below, except there is no quick change box" - so, no attempt at deception.

Post away here Frank, we'll do our best to help you. By the way, sending you a private message regarding those change gears.

Paul

Why is it that when a new person does something one person doesn't like he gets belittled. Then other people jump on the band wagon. It just doesn't make sense to me but it seems like PM is noted for that.

Paul

Prolly get band for this post oh well so be it.

I don't think anyone is belittling this person. It certainly comes across as suspect though? A person from NY, using Paula's lathe as a picture, the fact that anyone can create phony account. Smells "Nelsony", to be honest.

I guess this is not the forum that I want to be part of... I did a search on images of South Bend lathes and found an image of the one I bought (taken apart). Thought this image might be a place to start to identify mine. I also don't know how to take the statement, "A person from NY." I think I'll pass on this forum and move on to one that just might be a bit more helpful. Thanks to Paul for his help, but I'll go now...

Frank

Back