What's new
What's new

Lathe ID

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Hoping to pick this up for $150. Looks to be a 9A. Buddy said it should be still under power and working. Hope to get some better pics soon and the through hole spindle diameter. Really want to see a good pic of the apron and bed ways near the spindle.48057.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Its a 13", which has a more narrow motor base. The front side door that is missing is rectangle in shape.

14.5 and 16" the motor base is wider, and the front base door is square.

I don't recall seeing any, but I thought I read that one of the 10" that used the same base as a 13".

Its a 13", which has a more narrow motor base. The front side door that is missing is rectangle in shape.

14.5 and 16" the motor base is wider, and the front base door is square.

I don't recall seeing any, but I thought I read that one of the 10" that used the same base as a 13".
Good stuff. Can't wait to see the bed ways in person. Not getting my hopes up. Lol!

Don't do anything to the lathe before you get it home. It has been oil starved for years. Putting it under power before a complete teardown/felt replace, etc, risks rapid damage to the lathe. For $150, just show up, load it on a trailer and get the h back home before anyone comes their senses!

At least one of the cast-iron covers is stacked behind the lathe, visible in the photo. When you pick it up you need to do a search/destroy mission to find
whatever parts and tooling may be scattered around in there.

John, just for your information my 1940 model A nine inch has a double tumbler gear box so they were available before the 1950s.

Thanks!

I know - brother Harry has an elderly 9A

My comment based on fact the photo shows a far larger machine than a 9A. A reference could be my catalog 100-F from August 1946 - in which all QC lathes larger than the 9A have single tumbler QC boxes

Should have a lot more pics today and hope to go look at it in person tomorrow. [emoji1696]

Just don't power it up until you've had the opportunity to dig into it and check the oil paths. If you want to move the carriage and TS, bring an oil can and squirt under them before you move things. For $150, I'd just back up my trailer and load it up! Even if it turns out to be total crap, the parts alone will more than quadruple your investment.

Just don't power it up until you've had the opportunity to dig into it and check the oil paths. If you want to move the carriage and TS, bring an oil can and squirt under them before you move things. For $150, I'd just back up my trailer and load it up! Even if it turns out to be total crap, the parts alone will more than quadruple your investment.
Yeah, I'll have my squirt bottle of Vactra with me. [emoji106]

Purina One

Humongous project!! Good for you!
Ditto on no power B4 clean-up, and grab anything
that looks lathe related.

I'd take that dog too, by the way!

PMc

Everything lined up for tomorrow morning. He has one of these sitting outside too. Should be interesting to see what that one looks like. Lol!Screenshot_20201203-193200.jpgScreenshot_20201203-193133.jpg

Back