What's new
What's new

Lathe Identification?

FLarche

Plastic
Hi,

I only have those pictures:

$_20 (1).jpg $_20.JPG

I called the seller and he says the lathe measure about 5 feet long by 2 feet large and weights about 1300 pounds. The guy do not seems to know this machine, he probably just had it for free and try to sell it to make few bucks.

I am almost certain that it is a South Bend Lathe, probably an old(40's??) one with 13 inch swing over bed, but I would like to know the opinion of the experts. It seems that there is a piece of taper attachment still on the lathe?

Looks like a 13" with a single tumbler gearbox, which would be from 1940 thru 1955 or so. It does not have any parts of a taper attachment, just a cross slide cover. It could be a smaller or larger swing, it's hard to tell from pictures.

allan

Thanks for your clarifications! I always associated this style of top cover to the taper attachments.

It would be my first South Bend lathe. They are so nice!

Early 40's 16". Notice the bed is bolted to the cabinet leg from inside the leg. The leg is longer, different shape than the 13". The cover on the leg under the bench is different than a 13".
The 3 position lever on the apron is there, painted yellow.
Ted

Thanks for your help.

I talked to the seller and the weight is 1800 pounds, not 1300 pounds. So I guess a 16'' swing makes a lot of sense. If I buy it, I will update this thread with more informations and pictures.

Ok... I will forget it about this lathe.

The seller was supposed to deliver the machine today at my shop. Did not had news from him so I called him and he told this bs story:

The lathe is in his pick-up ready for delivery but he had some trouble with his driver's licence or car immatriculation(didn't undestand all he says...), so the cops confiscated his truck. His truck have been impounded for one month(until december 13th). If this bs is true(don't think so...), the lathe will be exposed for one month to the rain and snow.

Well, I will just keep looking... a heavy 10 would be cool for my shop!

Three position feed lever on apron is there I think. But it's
badly foreshortened because of the photo angle. Also it
looks like the handle for it is the smooth brass type, not the
knurled kind. Which makes it even harder to pick out.

Hey guys I just acquired a south bend lathe. It's an oldie serial number 13205 it works great I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it

Serial number is not enough to tell you anything on the old machines, other than a rough date. We would need pics or a catalog number to tell you more. 13205 with no other letters would be early/mid 1917 build date.

allan

even if the truck is impounded he ore you could remove the lathe and leave the truck..
just a thought..

Back