What's new
What's new

lathe identification help

jangel

Plastic
I picked up a new to me South Bend lathe and haven't had any luck figuring what I have. The serial number on it is 20880. It's about 7' long and appears to be an early model. The lathe carriage also doesn't look like any other pictures I've been able to find. Any ideas or help?

thumbnail_IMG_0337.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0338.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0339.jpg

Based on my measurements it is 16". Now I just need to find a used compound rest that will attach to it.

Based on my measurements it is 16". Now I just need to find a used compound rest that will attach to it.

Expect that to be rare. However by chance, for the first time in years(I shop for 16"), I see that vintage type parts. A bit pricey, and I'd confirm dimensions, also "make offer":
Southbend Lathe Early 15"16" Compound Slide/Toolrest | eBay

Saddle and cross slide:
Southbend Lathe Early 16"saddle&Crosslide Assy Complete | eBay

That seller is parting out the machine, might search all his listings:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/rustydayne/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Thanks!

Is there any value to an old 3 phase motor that came with it? It came with it and I don't have 3 phase power or any need, but not sure if it's useful.

Thanks!

Is there any value to an old 3 phase motor that came with it? It came with it and I don't have 3 phase power or any need, but not sure if it's useful.

Sure there will be value, how high is hard to say. Does it work, condition, is it original or what time period is it from, etc. Might post pics of it and the data plate on it.

I'd hang on to that motor and keep it with lathe accessories if nothing else. People most interested in a 1919 lathe will want that vintage looking motor on it.

Not sure your budget or intention. But running an RPC is not all that expensive or complicated from a single phase source. I would personally run an rpc just to put that motor on :D. Imagine it cleaned up and running proper. . .

Might search vintage electric motors from this site. Might start to swing you.

While it would be cool to see the old motor running. It's already set up with a different motor and mount that work. Just want to start turning things so I'll just put this thing on the shelf.

Back