What's new
What's new

lathes in general

zapster

Aluminum
ok guys

how many lathes are in your shop? and what are the sizes?

we have 8 where i work

from miniscule ones to the "big lathe"
the big lathe can swing a 50"dia. piece 42 feet!!! long...yes i typed feet

the lathe i run is a hendy.. made in conn.
i can do a piece 20" x 90" long..

what about you?

...zap!

Hmm. Lathe count. I'm going to combine
my shop at work and the one at home, for a
full-featured gloat...

Home: South Bend 10L 'heavy ten,' Hardinge
split bed ESM-59, Seneca Falls vintage machine
not currently under power, likewise an old
Cataract 9" bench lathe. Also a Pratt and
Whitney 7" bench lathe, currently in storage.

Work: Hardinge HLVH which is the main workhorse,
and also a small Boley watchmakers lathe. I
bought that one on expense money, one piece
at a time as Johnny Cash says. They sold me
everything except the bed. A toolmaker at work
made the bed for me out of a chunk of CRS.
That little Boley lathe gets more work than you
could imagine.

Jim

Hi There,

I have one lathe up and running at this time (an 11" x 5 ft. bed
Powermatic/Logan) And five aothers in various stages of rebuilding:

1 - SBL 9" Model A Cabinet model,
3 - SBL 10R Pedistal w/ 4 ft. beds,
1 - Clausing 14" 6900 series model.

I think I need another one. :rolleyes:

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

4 12" lehmann hollow spindles.2 long beds and 2 short beds.all manual control. 1 mazak slant turn 450,i small summit lathe.these are at drilco in broussard louisianna. oilfeild manufacturing repair,rebuilding.

I think I have the record for the fewest: only one. And it's in pieces right now. Let's see someone bottom that!

Paula

after actively avoiding buying a lathe for almost 20 years (did all turning, boring and single point threading on a mill-drill just for sheer spite), I fell off the wagon in a big way a few years ago. Hardinge ESM (splitbed), Cataract(flatbelt version of Hardinge ESM, also with chase threading), 2 Hardinge TL projects, 1 SB10K.

smt

Ok, Here goes... 1920's Cataract toolroom lathe (the rare one), 9" Hardinge split bed, Tsugami Chucker (Hardinge Copy), 1340 Acra-Turn (Nice Tiawan Lathe, Colchester like copy), 9" Southbend Junior 1928 or so, 10" Atlas (gets used the most, wierd I know).
At work, have a 1440 Nardini, very nice. Also at work, Hardinge HVL-H EM, Sharp (copy), MoriSeki 1550, Leader 1550 (tiawan, Nice), 2 Star swiss CNCs, an Okuma something? ,and an Okuma Captain. Also a Sheldon in the repairs area. --Doozer

I have three. A nearly mint '60s Unimat SL-1000 that my father left me, a totally mint 1952 Atlas 10" QC that I bought over a year ago, and a 1957 Clausing 12" 6300 that was free (tipped over, but otherwise in reasonable well-used shape, awaiting resto) this fall.

Also used to have an SB 9" model B that was a total basket case and parted out, and an antique 12" WP Davis in poor shape that I sold but wish I had kept.

Hi! I have a 1948 SB9 C converted to a A and a
Carrol-Jameson 13"-14" swing,48" between centers , 3 speed shift on the go quick change!? Can't find info on it, thing weighs at least 2,000 lbs so it runs Very smoothly. The bed is notched under the chuck so you have 14 +", and under the tailstock its 13+" just shy of 14" so I don't know what to call it ? Both being flat belts there no balls of fire but their accurate and as an HSMr thats good enough for me! :cool:

My home shop currently is void of lathes. I just sold my 13x45" South Bend, and my 10L is currently at a machinery rebuilding shop.

The machinery rebuilding shop has four lathes... A 26" Monarch (blocked up from 16"), an 18" Leblond, a 14.5" Reed Prentice (actual swing of 16"), a 15" Lebond, and an 80-something inch navy lathe that was once meant for making artillery shells. The navy lathe can fit about 20' between centers, and runs two carriages.

Hi
Have one lathe; Southbend heavy 10. Purchased on line auction about a year ago. Lathe has been used alot. I read how most of you strip your machine down and re-build. I enjoy running my machine, presently making some parts for an F-20 Farmall tractor. Thru the years have ran many different models of machines, some small and some large swing and long beds. As age sets in running the smaller 10" is more my style. My shop consists of lathe, small mill, inspection equipment, and some woodworking equipment.

OK:

South Bend 11 inch, 1936

South Bend 9 inch model A 1954 or 55.

South Bend 13 inch, 1930 - undergoing reconditioning.

A charming Ensemble of three Lodge and Shipley Hi Turn production lathes one with a tracer and one rather rare long bed version. The group finctions as a "department". I am the second owner.

Hand feed turret lathe, Taiwanese, but with so much Jimmy work on it it is half American made.

Boye and Emmes 20 inch by 10 ft. 1953. It's a mess and still in storage. :(

I think I need to visit LA...Lathes Anonymous:

The Good:
SB 10L cabinet model, early 60's? need 3-ph power.
SB 10k on leg stand, 1950's? being assembled.
Both loaded with tooling.

The Bad:
SB 10L cast iron base, 4' bed needs TLC and a good home.

The Ugly:
They are all beautiful!

For Sale:
SB 10k 4' bed, cabinet base, 3-ph. De-gunked, needs loving home.
Logan 825 cabinet base, being totally refurbed by two fussy machinists.

Forgotten:
Craftsman 6" bought in 1975...still in pieces.

In Transit:
Them two old antiques from Queens.

Fate to be Decided:
Old Cataract bench model

Wood Lathes:
Do these count? Got two Rockwells, one is for sale - the homeowner model.

Somebody better take my truck keys from me!

1912 12" American Tool lathe, my small peanuts entry into the real machine class. But its a nice robust little machine thats light enough to be moved into a basement without major work.

1960's Atlas 6", from my dad, now in mothballs (the lathe, not my father) awaiting the nephew's or the daughter's interest. My dad bought it from Sears back when they still sold that sort of thing and it has the bill of sale, parts list and the entire complement of tooling except for the dog plate which seems to have disappeared in a move some years ago.

Greg

I have one,but apparently a rare one. In about 5 yrs. of reading these forums I have never heard of another. It is an old conehead Porter Cable Toolroom Lathe. 12x48, any info would be appreciated. James

First was a bare bones 10" Atlas I bought when I was still in high school.
That got sold when I got my 1st 10L during college. It was a 1940's clapped out under drive unit. That was passed off to a good friend when I got my current 10L.
This one's a lightly used 1969 4-1/2' cabinet base model out of a downsized toolroom. I called LeBlond and found out that I bought it from the original owner, who specially ordered it as a toolroom model without the taper attachment. I'd like complement it with a Rivett 918S or a Rivett 70 Series some day.

Back