What's new
What's new

leaving the 9A brotherhood, joining the 10k brotherhood

Anatol

Aluminum
Hi all
so, a couple of weeks ago I posted a thread 'joining the 9A brotherhood' but I came to understand it was false pretenses, turns out I have a ~1959 10K A. The 'A' on the gearbox made me think it was a 9A - I didn't know 10K came in an 'A' configuration. So can I join the 10KL club? :) I'm beginning the slow process of cleaning and rebuilding. Lathe appears to be in good condition, but unused for several years I think (deceased estate) so it was a bit dry. Came with several chucks, collet closer, thread counter, micrometer carriage stop,(but no steady rests :( Its lost a tooth on the small back gear - a common problem I understand. The PO slopped quite a lot of paint on it - many things gummed up. Compound scale lock doesn't work, I understand there should be a little slug in there - can anyone tell me dimensions? I've attached a couple of pics of the machine before we moved it. I've got the ILION book and a set of felts. Any tips etc gladly received.

SB view.jpgSB side.jpg

That's why you post lots of pictures - your mistake would have been easily caught and corrected. As for the compound scale lock, any 1/8" diameter piece of brass will work. How long depends on how high you want your screw to sit proud.

As for leaving the 9A brotherhood, it's not that simple. You must receive approvals from 2/3's of the group allowing you to leave and unless you can prove that you own lathes in two groups, you can't be in both until you are approved to leave another. Because you posted under false pretenses (that you had a 9A), you are hereby SUSPENDED from the site for 30 days. Don't worry, it will go by fast, as you will have your hands full in getting your new machine to running condition. When you do, be sure that you post plenty of pictures as your penitence.

JUST KIDDING! THERE ARE NO GROUPS! WE ARE JUST ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY! AND YOUR SUSPENSION IS JUST 30 MINUTES, NOT DAYS! Just read the posts that interest you and contribute when you have something to add to the discussion.

P.S. What's the purpose of that thing on the gear box?

That's why you post lots of pictures - your mistake would have been easily caught and corrected.

JUST KIDDING! THERE ARE NO GROUPS! WE ARE JUST ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY! AND YOUR SUSPENSION IS JUST 30 MINUTES, NOT DAYS! Just read the posts that interest you and contribute when you have something to add to the discussion.

P.S. What's the purpose of that thing on the gear box?

Thankyou!. I appreciate the jokes and kind words, and the advice :). The thing on the gearbox was a little horsehoe magnet - left there by PO. (shots were 'as found'.
I saw someone post that a 10K A is just. a 9A with 3/8 shims under head and tailstock. That was joking I joking (I don't see any shims on mine), but - what is the substantive difference - is it just a bit more swing? (mine is ~1959)

I'll post pics as I can in future.
thx!

I saw someone post that a 10K A is just a 9A with 3/8 shims under head and tailstock. That was joking I joking (I don't see any shims on mine), but - what is the substantive difference - is it just a bit more swing?

There's quite a bit of difference between the two.

Looking at the tooling dimensions, there is very little in common between the two.

attachment.php

Back