What's new
What's new

Just bought a 9" southbend lathe

ChrisP

Aluminum
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I just bought a 9" south bend lathe yesterday. I will try to get some pictures today. I have a lot of questions, so please bear with me. I do know, according to the almost pristine literature and signed letter from a company person, that it was purchased in September of 1968 by the previous owner and it is a "B" model. I bought it at an auction for under $1,000 with a few odds and ends in one drawer and a piece of plastic sheet and a drill chuck in the other, or so I thought. Got back to the shop and pulled the plastic out and found a 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, 2 more face plates? 1 with 4 equally spaced tapped holes and 1 with a notch in it, some boring bars, another "insert" for the tail stock, not sure what it's for, and a complete set of gears. I'm guessing nobody else knew that stuff was there. Anyway, enough rambling for now, I'll try to get some more info today.

Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob. Here it is. The serial number is 176252. I did see a model B9 on it.
The second pic is what I found in the top drawer. The third pic, except for the drill chuck, was buried under a piece of sheet plastic. I don't think many people if anybody knew that stuff was there.

Chris

A little more information I forgot to put in earlier. Cat # 677R, Bed 4 1/2, Chart #5, Model B9

Attachments

• 9 Southbend Lathe (1) (800x600).jpg
    9 Southbend Lathe (1) (800x600).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,317
  • 9 Southbend Lathe (7) (800x600).jpg
    9 Southbend Lathe (7) (800x600).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 9 Southbend Lathe (11) (800x600).jpg
    9 Southbend Lathe (11) (800x600).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:
Chris,
I think you did very well! I spent less money and got much less... I also am new to this board and learning something new every day about my South Bend Lathe. Take some time and you can find the answer to most of your questions here.

Welcome abord!

toolman_ar

Welcome to the board. The "faceplate" with four tapped holes is, most likely the backplate for the fourjaw chuck if it is not fitted with one already. To fit it, do a search on this site, or refer to How to run a Lathe from southbend. The book is available online in an electronic form (pdf file). If memory serves me, I downloaded it from Williams Southbend Library. They also have other old Southbend books that will be of interest, just google it.

Thanks, Toolman and Redneck. I've done a lot of searching on here already. WOW. The information is overwhelming. Redneck, do you know what the plate with the notch in it is for? It's in the 3rd picture in my post above.

Thanks, Chris

That notch is used to engage a lathe dog.

When you turn a shaft between centers you use the centers to keep it straight and a lathe dog to keep it turning. The dog's tail goes in that slot.

Got a question here, What does the lever in the middle (with 3 holes to move it to) do in the top and bottom hole? I know in the middle hole, when I pull up on the lever on the right side, it advances everything toward the headstock. When I put the middle lever in the top or bottom, I cannot move the other lever (unless I don't have gear teeth lined up properly) at all. Nothing else happens either.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• 9 Southbend Lathe (2) (800x600).jpg
    9 Southbend Lathe (2) (800x600).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 640
That is the selector for the power feeds. You should use it to drive the cross feed or the long feed (carriage) instead of the halfnut lever. Save the latter for threading only. You probably need to tighten the clutch star knob.

allan

And a few more since that prob will be the next question...Bob

Attachments

• handle2.jpg
    handle2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 342
  • handle3.jpg
    handle3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 380
  • handle4.jpg
    handle4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 358
Thank You Kitno455 and Bob. What I am understanding is put lever up or down and just tighten the star shaped clutch knob depending on what I want to move. How tight does this get tightened?
Also downloaded the "How to run a lathe" file, just haven't made it through it yet.

Thanks, Chris

Had time to mess around with the lathe today. I got the power feeds and star clutch knob figured out. When I used the cross feed under power, it moved from the center to the outside instead of from the outside toward the center. If I run the lathe backwards, it goes from out to in. Is this right? :confused:

Thanks, Chris

Pull open the gear cover on the left. You will see this:

IMG_1573.jpg

That handle with the three gears attached to it just below the spindle is the feed reverse. Handle in down position feeds carriage towards the headstock and crossfeed from center out. In the up position feeds carriage towards tailstock and crossfeed in.

Your welcome and hey we all started somewhere. I'm still learning too. A good purchase would be how to run a lathe. You can get an older PDF off the net for free but i personally prefer it in book form. Also pick up a rebuild kit and book off of EBAY when your ready. Invaluable information in that thing.

Also one thing i noticed in the picture. Your drum switch is mounted behind your bed on a post meaning you would have to reach over the spinning metal to shut it off. not necessarily a good idea. A lot were mounted on the backgear guard like you see in my picture, but really you could put it anywhere accesible.

I need to move that switch, just haven't got to it yet. Would like to find an original mount for it. This is just on a piece of angle welded to the table. I'll check out the book and rebuild kit.

Thanks, Chris

Broke the leather belt the other day. In my continuing education on this lathe, I went ahead and got a serpentine belt and put it on. Thanks to all who have posted "How-to" stuff on this sight and to those who have answered my questions.

Chris

I have the original B model switch mount. They clamp on the bed in front of the head stock. I converted my B model to an A model about 4 years ago and went with the top mounted switch since the gear box would be in the way.
Pm me if your interested in it.

Now that you have the serpentine belt do the bearing mod in place of the fibre washer take up nut, will make a huge difference.

Back