What's new
What's new

Leeson Electric Motor reversing on Drum switch

Cappybye

Plastic
I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask another question :o When I bough the lathe a couple of years ago I changed the motor to a Leeson 2 HP, 1725 Rpm, 230V, Single Phase, 56HZ Frame.

We tried all sorts of wiring arrangements, I had two different electricians drop in and look at it, but weren't able to get it reversing on the drum switch. If I recall correctly, this Leeson has something slightly different in the wiring that complicates the reversing. As it stands there's only 110v on the reverse side, in other words no reverse. I eventually gave up and have been living with just the forward rotation. This is obviously not ideal.

Below is the standard starting point for the wiring, the picture I believe is the current arrangement. I think there were a couple of ways to get 220 forward and 110 reverse, but we never managed to get 220 in reverse.

Since the single-phase conversion is quite common and so are these Leeson motors, I'm wondering if anyone here has installed this particular motor on the standard drum switch and managed to get it turning in both directions without adding a second switch?

leeson-single-phase-motor-wiring-diagram-britishpanto-with.jpgLeeson1.JPGIMG_3360.jpg

We will probably have to modify the switch, but I think it can be done. We need a picture of the motor wiring diagram for 220, assuming that is the voltage you want to use.

allan

Here is a diagram. You'll have to change the jumpers on your switch, and possibly move a couple screws around. Assuming Leeson has not done anything funny with the NEMA wiring conventions, this should work.

3pdt-220.gif

allan

A picture of the motor data plate might help us.
CarlBoyd

Hi Carl. I know this is a really technical question, and I have a bunch of notes and drawings at home about this.

At this point I'm not looking for instructions on how to do it, rather I'd be happy to hear from someone who has managed to do this. If someone has, I'll reopen the case and give it another try.

Capture.JPG

Hi Carl. I know this is a really technical question, and I have a bunch of notes and drawings at home about this.

At this point I'm not looking for instructions on how to do it, rather I'd be happy to hear from someone who has managed to do this. If someone has, I'll reopen the case and give it another try.

View attachment 248383

I've attached a number of motors to a number of switches. So far, I don't see anything unusual here.

allan

Here is a diagram. You'll have to change the jumpers on your switch, and possibly move a couple screws around. Assuming Leeson has not done anything funny with the NEMA wiring conventions, this should work.

View attachment 248382

allan

Hmmm Allan that one is interesting, I think I'd remember if we had tried that . As I said it's been over a year since we tackled this. However I'm pretty sure I remember the electrician saying "Why the heck couldn't Leeson do it like everyone else?" or words to that effect.

I thought maybe someone on the board might have installed one of these motors in their lather lately, and perhaps run across the same problem as I did.

I'll have another crack at this next week when I get home. Cheers.

Back