What's new
What's new

Looking for a couple of items.

Raydel

Plastic
As I work my way through this SB13 rebuild, I'm coming across little annoyances that need attention.
The 80 tooth idler gear on the left of the headstock only has 79 teeth. If there's one floating around or gathering dust in anyone's shop out there, please PM me, I'd prefer to replace it. Worst case, I'm prepared to do a little shop dentistry and replace the missing tooth. I have an old Bull gear that's missing several teeth and one more won't make a hill of beans worth of difference. I can extract one and braze it into the idler gear.

Secondly, I could use a replacement large calibrated dial for the cross slide. The one that came on the lathe looks like someone took out their frustrations on it with a ball peen hammer. Read, "it's ugly". Hope someone can help.

Cheers,
Raydel

Instead of doing dentistry, you should build up the area with the broken tooth with a cast iron rod, then shape the resulting glob into the correct tooth form.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. SLK001, I plan to file a keyway (I don't have a Mill as yet) into the root of the broken tooth, then insert a tooth from a scrap Bull gear. I can cut this replacement slightly oversize then reshape to proper dimensions after brazing. For my particular skils, this would be an easier fix.
I'll admit that prep work may take slightly longer, but that's my trade off.

Gunsmith: I'll shout out to SBlatheman. Thank you sir.

Raydel.

SLK001, I plan to file a keyway (I don't have a Mill as yet) into the root of the broken tooth, then insert a tooth from a scrap Bull gear.

For my particular skils, this would be an easier fix.

The problem with doing it this way is that you can only braze/weld from the edges. This will result in a very weak repair. If you build up with CI rod, your repair is attached across the entire width of the gear, making it a much stronger repair.

A fellow on these forums named Ted, his user name SBlatheman, is you're best bet for a great many parts. Email him any inquires here: [email protected]
Watch ebay as a regular thing too.

Hi Gunsmith: SBLatheman came through for me, I've got a replacement dial on the way.
Thanks much for the referral.
Cheers,
Raydel

Back