What's new
What's new

Looking For Help Setting Up A Live Center In The Headstock, 1948 SB-9C

Metal-Masher

Plastic
Looking For Help Setting Up A Dead Center In The Headstock, 1948 SB-9C

Hi everyone-

I'm tooling up to do a job using a Dog Leg. I've never done this type of setup before, and this is a 'new-to-me' SB-9C.

I understand the faceplate, and the dog leg, and the live center at the tailstock. Its the fitment of a dead center in the headstock that I'm confused about.

I've read that the MT taper in the SB headstock is not quite at 3MT, but it's larger than a 2MT. Is this true?

If so, is it typical to use a 1/2 (0.5) MT adapter sleeve on a 2MT dead center? This would make the dead center 2-1/2 MT, I guess.

Where can I get adapter sleeves, or even 2-1/2 MT dead centers?

If I'm way off base here, what should I be doing instead?

Last edited:
You can put any old piece of bar stock in your chuck and turn a center point on it, this will be as close to perfectly centered as you can get and then the dogs leg can be driven from one of the chuck jaws.
If you need to do this again re cut the taper.

workshop type 9" is MT3 spindle...but the taper is shorter than standard MT3 so SB supplied a sleeve that took MT2.

MT3 WILL fit but may be a bit long...so if you go that route buy cheap MT3 dead centers and cut them as needed.

Or just use the chuck jaw approach, really it's better anyway.

Get a used up MT3 taper drill. Cut off the drill. Stick in headstock taper so its tight. Set compound 30 degrees off spindle axis and put a point on it

All the MTs I have cut down over the years to 1/2 or 5/8 or 3/4 straight have been machinable with HSS

If you repeat this pointing every time its been out and back in again it will always be running true

Back