What's new
What's new

Looking for production cross slide parts

KBenoit1

Aluminum
With the help of Ted and some others I've started piecing together a production cross slide for one of my SB9s. Still searching for a few things to complete it.

Hand lever assembly
Bushing to mount rack to saddle
Rear tool post. It should be single sided and hold the tool up side down.

I know these parts are few and far between so thanks in advance

IMG_20210413_231618_238.jpgIMG_20210413_231618_279.jpg

You mentioned the single sided rear tool post. This is a 16, not a 9, but I guess similar.

82.jpg

That should be pretty easy to make. Just a single slot, though with set screws on top, probably need a rocker or spacers to get height right of tool for centerline.

I might be inclined to move your current post to rear. Then use a 4 position turret tool post for front.

You mentioned the single sided rear tool post. This is a 16, not a 9, but I guess similar.

View attachment 318876

That should be pretty easy to make. Just a single slot, though with set screws on top, probably need a rocker or spacers to get height right of tool for centerline.

I might be inclined to move your current post to rear. Then use a 4 position turret tool post for front.

Hardinge-system surplused tooling "blocks" off eBay could be made to fit. Works for the 10EE's.

Hardinge had a very broad collection of many different types, and they were made to support a dominant volume-parts-production lathe maker's user market volume.

Time has moved-on. They became a Helluva a lot easier to find than scarce OEM South Bend who had far the lesser role in "production work".

View attachment 318876

I did think about making one, but i dont have access to a milling machine. The rear one has the tool upside down and is taller to accommodate this. I dont think moving the front one to the rear will work for this reason, other than running it in reverse. Not sure how great that would work with a threaded spindle.

I will also look into the hardinge post, any idea what model number post fits the 10EE ? or has the correct height for 9" swing ?

No mill? If you've got an independent 4 jaw chuck and an indicator to set the part alignment within the chuck you can machine any square or even rectangular parts without a mill right on the lathe that are small enough to be within the lathes swing radius. Bolt and strap clamp that now square tool holder to the cross slide and/or shim to the proper height to cut the tool slot at the correct elevation and size with an end mill in that 4 jaw. Holding an end mill in a MT end mill holder with a draw bar or a collet chuck would be better, but it can still be done well enough with that 4 jaw or in a pinch even a 3 jaw. Any lathe is pretty much a horizontal mill with less rigidity and slide travels so it does limit your actual part size. But as far as the tool holding rigidity, your head stock would still be far more rigid than any Bridgeport. How does anyone think work like this got done before mills were invented?

I did think about making one, but i dont have access to a milling machine. The rear one has the tool upside down and is taller to accommodate this. I dont think moving the front one to the rear will work for this reason, other than running it in reverse. Not sure how great that would work with a threaded spindle.

I will also look into the hardinge post, any idea what model number post fits the 10EE ? or has the correct height for 9" swing ?

Probably over a hundred can fit! But 90 of them are weird! Hardinge had tooling for everything one could imagine, and a few things not that easy!

Tool blocks quite aside, three of my "many" four-way TP are Hardinge-branded. AFAIK they surely made the ONE high-precision (repeats position to "tenths") one. I'm fair certain they made one of the others, but bought-in the third "house branded".

:)

MANY of the Hardinge lathes had just a tad LESS swing that a 10EE.

The swing isn't what matters. It's the height off the top deck of the compound OR the top-slide OR tooling support in place of a compound ..to the CL of the long-axis. Which is not greatly different. Point is they are a tad smaller than a 10EE. So you raise them on a plate. No need to mill them DOWN.

One or "few" adaptor plates can raise any of several tool blocks. The tool blocks themselves are NOT modified. And Hardinge also had plain, multi-holder block-type, and even "turret" top-plates that held their system of tooling blocks.

"Quick change"? Not exactly. Flexible change, FIT FOR A PURPOSE.. rather. Multifix, Tripan, Aloris & clones are not HSS friendly.

I am.

That's the whole point of using them. Once equipped for it, not that much work to it as to choice of blocks for "whatever" purpose.

Now.... used Hardinge debris is pricey.

OTOH, it's a close-enough fit to 9" to 12" lathes in general. More importantly, there were catalogs. That there is information is a value-add in itself.

Further, there are still MANY folk in the world that are familar with various components of the Hardinge "system".

Not a lot of mystery in it.

Dirt-cheap B&S, W&S, Gisholt, and other old production & turret lathe tooling can easily be four times too large. Too few people still above-ground even remember the makers OR their tooling.

And the photo doesn't tell you that!

:D

I have found the hand lever assembly and other parts.

Only thing i am missing now is the rear tool block. I believe, per the parts sheet, its the same for the 9 and Heavy 10.

Back