What's new
What's new

Looking for two bolt sizes on a 10L...

Cheetah

Aluminum
Hey folks,

Two accessories my machine came without, but I've managed to gather, but I now don't know what bolts to use for mounting them.

- Lever type collet closer (the bolt that goes in right by the back gear lever)
- Threading dial

I tried a couple bolts in each hole, but I'm not sure if I've got scuzz (yes) in the holes, or the wrong pitch bolts. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to pitch and length on these two bolts?

Thanks!

Run a few taps in to see what fits. Don't remove any metal just try to determine what you have. They could be anything somebody drilled and tapped when adding the accessories.

I let a coworker borrow my tap set, and never saw it again. I've got surprisingly good history on the machine, and can say with almost absolute certainty the holes are from the factory, so I'm just curious what the factory thread is. If that doesn't work out, I'll start swinging at other options.

My thread dial is held in place by a 5/16x20tpi bolt. Not sure if that was factory or drilled and tapped by another owner.

The other is a 3/8x16tpi.

Oof, that would explain why 5/16-18 almost works. That'll be unfortunate, though it appears toilet seat bolts are often 5/16-20. Guess I'll have to disassemble a toilet to test it out haha.

Thank you!

That's what HF tap sets are good for.
Cheap,crappy taps to clean out existing threads and save your good taps for cutting.

Somehow this never even crossed my mind. I just cringe when I see them, but I may have to swing by on the next big sale weekend and grab a set.

Thanks all, I was able to scratch up a couple taps and confirm they're 5/16-18 and 3/8-16, albeit a little galled up in the thread dial hole. Don't think it would've been usable without chasing that one with a tap, so I'm glad I was able to semi-confidently go that way.

Back