What's new
What's new

Lubrication

rapidtap

Plastic
Hello, I have been trying to find teflon grease and non detergent oil in 5, 10 or 20 weight with no luck. Can somebody tell me where I can order this.
Thanks a lot for any info you can give me........Jerry

rapidtap,

There is a synthetic grease with Teflon...it's called Super Lube and probably available many places. Google it! If you are hunting for a non-detergent 'motor oil' in any other viscosity than 30 weight you are probably not going to find it.

As this forum deals with machinery, I'm guessing you are looking for an industrial oil rather than a motor oil. The application would indicate what type of oil to use. Do you have a manual that says to use a ND motor oil?

Stuart

oil

My mistake, it said to use nd engine oil only if no other oil is available. Sorry my mistake. Now what I want to know is 20w motor oil is whaat I need for my lathe

I had looked for "lube" a couple places, and got tired of the dead end. I pulled up McMaster Carr , and the very next day, the velocite 10, vactra 2, and the 20w, along with some synthetic grease with teflon, was sitting at my doorstep.

Tractor Supply carries non-detergent, straight mineral oil in 10, 20 and 30wt. They were out of 20wt, so I bought a jug of 10 and 30 and mixed equally to get 20. Still have plenty of 10 and 30 left over for those applications.

Oil for Southbend

Hi all: In my 1957 sixteen inch I use Exxon nuto 68 in everything but the spindle bearings and the apron sump where the feed clutch is located.

In the spindle bearings and feed clutch I use Lubriplate spindle oil #1 I think.. It has been so long since I bought any.. Still have alot in a metal gallon can..

I've heard about using teflon grease in the backgear but I still use oil.. Just put a little in it when you use backgear.. Mike

rapidtap,

I'll have to eat crow on this one. After 'Mike C' posted I was skeptical so I snooped around. There are non detergent motor oil still made in all the viscosities you were looking for...you learn something everyday. My first choice would still be a industrial oil in the weight you are after. I have linked the non detergent site just for grins.

http://www.burkeoil.com/pdf/nonde1.pdf

Stuart

Oil for Southbend

rapidtap,

I'll have to eat crow on this one. After 'Mike C' posted I was skeptical so I snooped around. There are non detergent motor oil still made in all the viscosities you were looking for...you learn something everyday. My first choice would still be a industrial oil in the weight you are after. I have linked the non detergent site just for grins.

http://www.burkeoil.com/pdf/nonde1.pdf

Stuart

I tend to favor hydraulic oils in the iso 68 range for everything but the spindle bearings and the feed clutch in my 1957 Southbend sixteen inch.. The hydraulic oils have good anti wear anti rust additives that enhance their use in machinetools..These oils are availible at Walmart even usually iso 46 in five gallon pail...Mike

I was warned by our lube rep at the shop that some of the modern hydraulic oils are rough on bronze and brass (red metals). He ordered some different stuff for the big Pacemaker for this reason. That's why I am running the straight non-detergent mineral oil in my machines... all of them.

Oils For Machinetools

I was warned by our lube rep at the shop that some of the modern hydraulic oils are rough on bronze and brass (red metals). He ordered some different stuff for the big Pacemaker for this reason. That's why I am running the straight non-detergent mineral oil in my machines... all of them.

Some of the oils that have ep additives can be hard on brass or bronze.. I think they are sulphurized.. Oils such as hypoid automotive oils should be avoided although I use those for cutting oil in my old Kearney and Trecker mills... Mike

aircraft turbine oil?

Anybody know if this would be an acceptable spindle oil? An older fellow down the road used to be a mechanic at a small airfield, I saw it sitting in the corner of his shed and he gave me a can. I forget the weight but I know it's pretty thin. Maybe 10-10 or 10-20, i'll go look and post the specifics. Thanks for any help, m71.

Isn't turbine oil usually single-viscosity? As long as the viscosity is in the correct range, I suspect it will work fine.

Ryan
Sorry I have'nt had achance to run check what the specs are. Be back in 10 mins, the missus' just got home and needs a moment of my time. :toetap: . m71.

Back